140gr. copper .308

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question?? If I take a standard 30.30 load for the 140gr. will it be safe to load in the .308 case, seeing how the case design is so much different? I guess I need to look up all the loads and compare them powder to powder , weight for weight, and see if there's an equal load.

Years ago I used to load 150 grain, 30-30 bullets on top of the 30-06, they worked fine. I'm not so sure about the performance of your bullets. If they are in fact 30-30 bullets, and designed for the 30-30 velocities and you are sending out the barrel at .308 speeds they might want to open up very quickly and not give you the penetration that you would want. Calvin45 gave you a great place to start with the Marlin Express load data. If you are using load data that will not over-pressure your loads (powder load/weight to bullet weight), and you are using the proper caliber/diameter bullet, as in this case 30 caliber (.308 thousandths) it doesn't matter what the grain is, your gun is not going to "make a loud bang". Depending on the twist in your rifle and the jacket thickness/design you might not get the performance that you are looking for. I would be quite surprised, that unless your 300WinMag has a twist to accommodate the 140 grain bullet, you will not get great accuracy or performance out of your bullets. Personally I would not waste time, powder and primers shooting the 140gr bullets in a .300 WinMag, unless that twist in you barrel is designed to shoot light bullets. I hope this makes sense to you.

Years ago I used to load 150 grain, 30-30 bullets on top of the 30-06, they worked fine. I'm not so sure about the performance of your bullets. If they are in fact 30-30 bullets, and designed for the 30-30 velocities and you are sending out the barrel at .308 speeds they might want to open up very quickly and not give you the penetration that you would want. Calvin45 gave you a great place to start with the Marlin Express load data. If you are using load data that will not over-pressure your loads (powder load/weight to bullet weight), and you are using the proper caliber/diameter bullet, as in this case 30 caliber (.308 thousandths) it doesn't matter what the grain is, your gun is not going to "make a loud bang". Depending on the twist in your rifle and the jacket thickness/design you might not get the performance that you are looking for. I would be quite surprised, that unless your 300WinMag has a twist to accommodate the 140 grain bullet, you will not get great accuracy or performance out of your bullets. Personally I would not waste time, powder and primers shooting the 140gr bullets in a .300 WinMag, unless that twist in you barrel is designed to shoot light bullets. I hope this makes sense to you.
Who said anything about a .300 win mag?

You're best bet for loading data is to start out with a mid range .308 load for a 150 grain bullet & work up from there. DO NOT USE 30-30 DATA! CFE-223, IMR4895, Varget & IMR4064 would be good places to start. You should get slightly higher velocities out of this bullet compared to a similar load of powder for the 150 if you have a chronograph but they should work just fine out of a typical .308, even if they are a bit light.
Cheers,
crkckr

I'm afraid I'm still missing something...he's after load data for a standard .308 Winchester. Not a magnum cartridge of any variety.

From the OP, "I would like to find something for the .308 Winchester and the .300 Weatherby mag" The forth sentence in the original posting. The way I read this the OP is looking for a load for the 140 grain bullets that he purchased for his .308 and his 300 Weatherby Magnum, not a 300WinMag as you so quickly pointed out!! Perhaps before being critical of someone it would be good if you took care of yourself. This is the nitpicking BS that drives me crazy on this forum!!!!!!! And generally speaking there are good folks on here who are here to help people and not criticize them. Hope that you get the jest of this message and are not missing something!

John@Redmt,let us know how things work out.Maybe just trade them to someone with a 30-30.lol
Yep, thats what I'm thinking. I'm in them right so they will be for CHEAP!!
BTW, when the sniping starts I usually back out of a thread even when i't mine that I started. I gained a LOT of useful information and I thank EVERYBODY for that. That being said,,,, guys play nice. Life is too short to waste it arguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.