140gr. copper .308

Status
Not open for further replies.
I canb't find any published Hornady load info but going to the Barnes site they have a sorta close comparison. Atleast it's the same bullet weight and powder.
30.30 win. 150 gr. tsx fn TAC 29.2 1925 32.4 2139
.308 win 150 gr. tsx bt TAC 43.4 2743 48.2 2986
.308 win 150 gr. mpg/tac TAC 41.3 2631 45.9 2861

Just based on an apples to oranges comparison it would seem that using the TAC powder a safe load would be around 43 gr. with the lighter Monoflex 140 gr. bullet

Yeah that's true...perhaps a reasonable course of action would be to look at the start loads for the 130 and 150 tsx bullets and split the difference.

Not sure if hornady will have load data for that bullet in a 308w as it's designed for a 30-30--- also, it's probably going to be hard to get it near the lads with that ogive profile. Hopefully it works out and you can find an accurate load -- just one of the problems I've found when buying 2nds

I compared them to some 130 & 150 grain ttsx. They are going to be a ways off the lands. If I can't find a suitable load that performs well I will just put them on the shelf.

Not sure if hornady will have load data for that bullet in a 308w as it's designed for a 30-30--- also, it's probably going to be hard to get it near the lads with that ogive profile. Hopefully it works out and you can find an accurate load -- just one of the problems I've found when buying 2nds
Just a thought/theory, but it might not matter if it's far from the lands. It's a monometal bullet with a ton of bearing surface for its weight. That might work in your favour. If not I'm sure you know someone with a 30-30 :)

Being that they are made for a 30-30 IRC, they have a lower velocity threshold for expansion. I'm keeping an eye on this post and let us know how they perform for you if decide to load them in your 308.

Being that they are made for a 30-30 IRC, they have a lower velocity threshold for expansion. I'm keeping an eye on this post and let us know how they perform for you if decide to load them in your 308.
I hadn't thought about that. It may not be worth the trouble. More research,,

I hadn't thought about that. It may not be worth the trouble. More research,,
There are a few reasons why this projectile is less than ideal in the 308 but a low expansion velocity almost certainly isn't one of them, if anything I'd say that's a benefit. with lead free hunting bullets the lower the velocity at which you can expect expansion the better. The solid copper shanks dictates that the idea of driving them too fast is a non-concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.