124 HAMMER - .308Win - TAC

Cool-to what ranges on the hogs?

One of my clients has a sizeable place in Tx and they a lot of hog work. Quite a bit via a helo which would be a hoot?

Sighted in @ 100yds, the 130TTSX drops less than 3" at 200yds so no real adjustment is necessary. Out to 300yds, the drop is under a foot but that would require a little kentucky elevation. 😁

I shot a nice 8 point buck at over 200yds with the TTSX load. The buck was walking towards me and had his attention fixed on a two-dimensional doe decoy. That buck was slammed to the ground like no animal I have ever seen. It would probably never happen again like that, but the terminal reaction was impressive.

Sighted in @ 100yds, the 130TTSX drops less than 3" at 200yds so no real adjustment is necessary. Out to 300yds, the drop is under a foot but that would require a little kentucky elevation. 😁

I shot a nice 8 point buck at over 200yds with the TTSX load. The buck was walking towards me and had his attention fixed on a two-dimensional doe decoy. That buck was slammed to the ground like no animal I have ever seen. It would probably never happen again like that, but the terminal reaction was impressive.
To what ranges are you shooting the hogs?

If powder bulk is the issue, as I have repeatedly stated; how is changing to a "standard LR primer" going to alleviate that?
Changing to a non-mag primer, as Steve has recommended in a few cases, was for the purpose of putting MORE powder in a case without excess pressure. I don't need more powder, I need less bulk. I'm highly confident that the TAC powder will achieve my goal but I just haven't had a chance to actually test it yet.

Tune back next week and I'll have my findings posted.
If powder bulk is the issue, as I have repeatedly stated; how is changing to a "standard LR primer" going to alleviate that?
Changing to a non-mag primer, as Steve has recommended in a few cases, was for the purpose of putting MORE powder in a case without excess pressure. I don't need more powder, I need less bulk. I'm highly confident that the TAC powder will achieve my goal but I just haven't had a chance to actually test it yet.

Tune back next week and I'll have my findings posted.
What I was referring too is if you hit pressure with tac and the magnum primer and still have room for more powder change too a standard primer and then move up in powder charge until you hit pressure again or run out of powder space. Then that may give the maximum potential for velocity. I will stay tuned in good luck.

Varmint hunter,
Please post your rifle/load data. Don't see it in the Hammer Hunter load spreadsheet.
Thanks.
I'll post it for others' reference.

I produced so much data that you wouldn't want to print it all. I used numerous powders, including overly compressed loads just for testing. However, my final load experiment resulted as follows:

Custom rifle with 22" Broughton bbl - Lapua case - Fed 215M - FCD @ .067 off rifling

50.4gr TAC gave 3,300 fps (LabRadar) with an amazing SD of only 3.2. Accuracy was not what I was looking for and came in at 2.97" @ 200yds.

I have exhausted my 124H bullets and am working on other projects at the moment. I may revisit the 124H/.308Win at some point again when the warm weather returns.

I'll be hunting hogs in Texas in a few months but decided to use the outfitters guns, thermals & ammo to make flying back & forth from NYC a bit easier.

That's pretty interesting. I currently shoot the 130 SH at 3100 fps with TAC.

If I can achieve the same results as you but actually get accuracy 1 MOA or better it would get me a little over 100 yards more without dropping below the 1800 fps. Also saves me almost 3 min in drop and 1 min in wind with 10mph full value at 500 yards.

I definitely need to try these in my 308 win.

Thanks for the reply

Kris

Last edited:
Varmint hunter,
Thank you so much.
TACseems to be very popular - for good reason!

TAC proved to be a good powder because it is very dense, and you can get a good weight in the case without compression. However, after a significant amount of load development with the 130 Barnes TTSX, I found that Benchmark was the "magic bullet" for a light mono in a .308Win case. Benchmark provides good load density, high velocity and surprisingly good accuracy. I have shot MANY sub 2" groups at 400yds with Benchmark and the 130TTSX.

FWIW - 46.5gr Benchmark will get 3,200 fps with the 124H with single digit SDs. I put 4 bullets into 1.42" @ 400yds but a 5th bullet opened the group to 3.40".