124 gr hammer hunter & 6.5 SAUM

With the rifles loaded with the 124 gr hammer. What seems the be the sweet spot for bullet jump Or do they like tk be close to the lands.

Thanks Everybody for all your input

Im running 62 grains of Retumbo in my 6.5 saum, ADG brass, CCI mag with 124 Hammer Hunters .010 off lands. Occasional slight ejector mark. Couldn't be happier, .3 to .75 moa out to 800 yard if I do my part. Extreme spreads consistently under 20 with my Lab Radar. My 15 year old son shot a Antelope this morning with it, kinda high,(just under the Back strap) and a little back,(just above the liver). Bullet entered and made mush out of back of lungs and half of the liver before exiting out the other side and boring into the dirt behind it for 2 feet then coming out of the dirt and out into the desert lol.

With the rifles loaded with the 124 gr hammer. What seems the be the sweet spot for bullet jump Or do they like tk be close to the lands.

Thanks Everybody for all your input
Generally they are not sensitive to jump. I always start with as long of oal that functions in the rifle without touching the lands. If I can reach the lands I start 20 thou off. Then if there is a need to adjust seating depth there is only one way to go. Rarely do we have to mess with seating depth to get solid sub moa.

I finally got around to doing some load development with the 124 hammer hunters for my SAUM. Using F210Ms, 1x fired ADG brass, and reloaded 26 I found some surprisingly good accuracy but have to keep digging to find a node in the velocity range I'm after. I ran half grain charge weight increments from 59.5gn up to 61.5gn with three round per charge weight. I never saw any pressure so when I can get back out I will keep going up.

Top velocity was 3300fps and it grouped good, not great, but I was not happy with the sd. I know I should pay little attention to an sd or even group size for that matter since they are only three shot groups.

Overall the best performer today was at 60.5gn at 3220fps with an es of 11fps and an sd of 5.3fps with 0.2moa group at 100yds. Really looking forward to more testing.

24" 1-8" proof sendero. 82degrees, 75% humidity, 10-15mph swirling winds down my shooting lane, at sea level.

IMG_4686.JPG
IMG_4687.JPG
IMG_4692.JPG
IMG_4693.JPG

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.