Reloading 124 grain Hammer Hunters for my 6.5 PRC

Tommyjohn53

I'm on my third time reloading Lapua brass. I deprimed, resized and cut the brass down to 2.020. Why are the brass so hard to close the bolt ? I measured the diameter on these cases and they measured .527-.528. What am I doing wrong? Would appreciate all the help I can get, thanks in advance guys

Sounds like you have the the clicker and stuck case issue that happens after 3-4 reloadings with the PRC calibers. The there is a thread the next forum that is super long that details the issue and Alex Wheeler created a fix for it and had jgs make a hand reamer to open up your chamber just a hair at the 0.200 line near the case web that the die's can push the case back into spec. I will try to find the thread for you.

Here it is...

Remote chance of a donut. Make sure a bullet slides easily into a fired case to eliminate this possibility. If it is, the neck will expand when you seat the bullet, causing the bolt to feel resistance much like a headspace issue.

Is the 527-528 at the base around .200 line? If so you don't have the infamous case web expansion issue. That issue is when the case gets to around .530 and there's not enough room for expansion and the case is hard to extract etc.

If you've not measured at the base and .200 line you'll need to do that. You're base needs to be 5295 or less usually