Hammer Hunter 124 in 6.5 PRC

Magneto Speed. I was wondering if that was possibly starting to have issues too. When it cools off and I have a chance to stretch it out and see if it's close. I hope it's still working, 3370 is awesome. I was actually expecting velocity like this from this bullet. I am only now concerned looking at others results with the 124.
If primer pockets are holding up and all functions well, I think it is fantastic!

If primer pockets are holding up and all functions well, I think it is fantastic!
Anxious to see these perform on game. My daughter and I have buck tags for SoDak this year. She will be running the 160 HH out of the 300Bee, and these 121s out of the 260 as her back-up gun. Trying to decide If I want to get 124s for the 270 that is my back-up gun. Sorry for the derailment all.

Chesspunker, according to QuickLoads, it's possible to attain that MV w/ RL16 but you're on the edge of pressuring out when hitting the faster node. I used 2.900 for OAL and at 1.33ms(26" barrel), the predicted MV of 3008FPS is w/ 49.1g of RL16 and is safe to start at. To get to over 3200, you'll need to work up to 53.9g which predicts 3242MV at 1.90ms node. Again, this is on the very edge of pressure!!
Since Hammer bullets are not in the bullet file, I took the Barnes 120TSX-BT and edited the weight and length to match the HH124. RL16 is available and temp stable. I use it in my 25-06 and my sons 270 and 6.5CM.
I would start at 48.0g since this is predicted data, to catch the lower node also.
Might run it by Steve too. I'm sure he's tested it.

Rhett
Anyone try the RL16 with the 6.5prc and 124g HH? Curious what your results were. Thanks!

Our load is as follows.

124g Hammer Hunter
rl26 topped out at 60g
Bertram brass
wlrm primer
coal 2.900"
vel= 3235fps

This load is shooting 3/4" at 200y.

We did take it up to 61g and 3280 fps. Here it showed an ejector mark so we backed away.
I ran ADG Brass, Fed 215M Primers with 60 grains of RL 26 and was at 3300 consistently according to my Lab Radar. I do not know my COAL but it is as long as the Stock Christensen box will hold. I was getting some pretty serious ejector marks but it shot really good. I did backoff to 58.5 and it still shoots 1/2 MOA but I have not run it through the chrono to see what it is doing. No more ejector marks.

Anxious to see these perform on game. My daughter and I have buck tags for SoDak this year. She will be running the 160 HH out of the 300Bee, and these 121s out of the 260 as her back-up gun. Trying to decide If I want to get 124s for the 270 that is my back-up gun. Sorry for the derailment all.
I can tell you the 124 Grain Hammer Hunters out of the 6.5 PRC at 3300 FPS are serious night night medicine for Antelope. I have to believe tyhey would be great on Deer as well. I used a 300 Win Mag with 181 Grain Hammers on Hogs and Javelina's a few weeks ago in Texas, not because I felt I needed that large a caliber but it was a brand new rifle I had just recieved and had to shoot it. Neither of the animals I shot, one at 100 and one at just over 200 even moved. Just DRT. Love them Hammers........

I ran ADG Brass, Fed 215M Primers with 60 grains of RL 26 and was at 3300 consistently according to my Lab Radar. I do not know my COAL but it is as long as the Stock Christensen box will hold. I was getting some pretty serious ejector marks but it shot really good. I did backoff to 58.5 and it still shoots 1/2 MOA but I have not run it through the chrono to see what it is doing. No more ejector marks.
Change to lr primers and you will see more vel with less beat up brass.

I can tell you the 124 Grain Hammer Hunters out of the 6.5 PRC at 3300 FPS are serious night night medicine for Antelope. I have to believe tyhey would be great on Deer as well. I used a 300 Win Mag with 181 Grain Hammers on Hogs and Javelina's a few weeks ago in Texas, not because I felt I needed that large a caliber but it was a brand new rifle I had just recieved and had to shoot it. Neither of the animals I shot, one at 100 and one at just over 200 even moved. Just DRT. Love them Hammers........
Too you gentlemen loading the 6.5 prc , with Hammer bullets might be surprised if you use reg LR Primers instead of mag primers . I haven't had time too revamp my 124 gr and 123 gr 3300 and 3400 fps with mag primers but my 109 gr absolute gained from 3592 fps with mag primers too 3728 fps with reg primers allowing 2 more grains of powder before pressure. Steve From Hammer advised me on this and it worked . I expect 3400 fps plus and 3500 fps plus with the 124 and 123 gr by changing too LR primers . He might chime in on this post , it surprised me.

As RockyMtnMT said H4350 is the top of the pile in stability and I apologize but I don't shoot anything in 6.5
My experience is H4350 will work good in about any thing it just doesn't give top Velocity in every cartridge it works in some it does , it is very versatile . If I could have only one powder H5350 would come too mind 1st.

Recent Posts