124 HAMMER - .308Win - TAC

Varmint Hunter

I'm looking to maximize the velocity of the 124 HH in my 22" .308Win rifle. Most powders seem to run out of case capacity before you can get there so I picked up a few pounds of TAC which I believe has better loading density.

Does anyone have any info on this combination of components?

FWIW - I'm using
.308 Win Lapua cases
Fed 210M primers

I've not used the 124 but have worked with various 125's to 130's over the years (including the TTSX) and generally use 48.5 of Tac, have gone to 50 but found best groupings with 48.5.

Considering that you're using Lapua brass that's considerably heavier than the Horn or Win brass I am I'd say that you'd be right in the game with 48.5 with the 124. I'm generally using BR2's.

Best of luck to ya it should be a good combo!

Side note, I"m using a 22" barrel as well once you're in that 3100 range I'd say you're pretty much there with the bearing surface of the Hammer and the heavy Lapua brass.

Point being, let your chronograph tell you when you're there. Don't forget "pressure equals speed and speed equals pressure"

Last edited:
I'll be anxious to hear where you end up. I'm thinking you should end up about 3250 fps.

I've been running at 3,200 ft/sec with other powders but the powder requires more compression than I'm comfortable with. Just for comparison, I dumped 50gr of TAC into a resized Lapua case and the case fill is below the neck. This powder shows promise with the 124HH.

Only problem is that I'm down to the last few bullets and just placed another order. Could you get them out before you leave to go hunting. 😁

I am basing my estimate of 3250 fps on the 3000 fps that we get from the 150g Power Hammer. Estimating 100 fps per 10g in bullet weight change. Also a shorter baring surface on the 124g Hammer Hunter making it a bit slipperier in the barrel. I will be interested to hear the final result.

I've been running at 3,200 ft/sec with other powders but the powder requires more compression than I'm comfortable with. Just for comparison, I dumped 50gr of TAC into a resized Lapua case and the case fill is below the neck. This powder shows promise with the 124HH.

Only problem is that I'm down to the last few bullets and just placed another order. Could you get them out before you leave to go hunting. 😁
Yes. We should have them out for you tomorrow. We will be shipping right up until Fri and then leaving on Sat.

So the question is, to what speed are you wanting to push it to. At 3200 you're already at 06 case capacity speed. Side note, I would forget TAC and go straight to MR2000

AA2460 will be your friend here. I run the 130 Barnes with great results and velocity out of 18" 308. I get 3085 FPS with 49 grains. This powder works well with the Hammer Hunters also. It meters real well and is ball powder, had super low SDs also.

AA2460 will be your friend here. I run the 130 Barnes with great results and velocity out of 18" 308. I get 3085 FPS with 49 grains. This powder works well with the Hammer Hunters also. It meters real well and is ball powder, had super low SDs also.

I've been running 130TTSX at 3,100 ft/sec and get surprisingly good accuracy at distance. I've also been using a variety of Hammer bullets lately and have tried the 124HH but have had loading density issues. TAC looks like it has potential for this application and does not have the same density issues so I picked up 2 pounds. Several of the AA powders also look good but I've got the TAC now and am looking for load data with it.

As soon as my new 124HH bullets arrive, I'll load up a progressive lot of ammo and post my finding for everyone to see. The 124HH should easily produce 3,200ft/sec, IMO, because they are lighter than the Barnes and produce less engraving pressure.

Thanks for the info on AA2460.