120gr HH’s and Varget- tweak or move on?

I've finally ran into a rifle that doesn't immediately like Hammer bullets.
I have a Model 7 7mm-08 youth compact that I decided to load with 120gr HH's. Ladder test showed 44.0-44.5 of Varget was a good starting point.
all groups were 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" at just under 2900fps
I haven't messed with adjusting the COAL yet. Mild crimp so far following Butterbean's recommendations.
Usually I get easy sub 1" groups right off the bat with Hammers. Then I mess with COAL and grains and get it to 1/2- 5/8" groups and call it quits.
So I'm leaning toward switching to H4350 (because I have a bunch) and giving it a shot vs spending a bunch of time with Varget. Plus, for some reason I've never had good luck with Varget with this rifle.
I have that same rifle and it's around a 1-1.5" shooter using most factory ammo if using the factory stock. You may not be aware that the factory Remington stocks have a raised channel in the forearm along the length of the barrel and at the front where the sling swivel hole is that touch's and cradles the barrel. I read somewhere that they did that to help accuracy but a lot of people have found that if you want to do even better you will need to rasp that area down to cleanly free float the barrel and then develop your load. I have done that with mine and get better than .5 moa shooting 139 SST's where prior I could not do better than a little over 1.3. I have a second newer model stock that I modified.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    803.3 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    998.4 KB · Views: 35
I have a Model 7 7mm-08 youth compact that I decided to load with 120gr HH's. Ladder test showed 44.0-44.5 of Varget was a good starting point.
I haven't messed with adjusting the COAL yet. Mild crimp so far following Butterbean's recommendations.
Usually I get easy sub 1" groups right off the bat with Hammers. Then I mess with COAL and grains and get it to 1/2- 5/8" groups and call it quits.
So I'm leaning toward switching to H4350 (because I have a bunch) and giving it a shot vs spending a bunch of time with Varget. Plus, for some reason I've never had good luck with Varget with this rifle.
Quick!!!!!!!! Remove this before Bean sees it... such sacrilege!.....🙃😉....(he doesn't mean this at all Brother)

I shoot a lot of different hammers in my rifles with varying success. The 2 that were the most difficult to get right were both 7-08s. I couldn't get them to shoot the 120s better than MOA, but the ES/SDs are fantastic single digits. Took way more time and $ than it should have to get them even shooting around MOA. Lesson I learned was either the hammers shoot really well early on in load development, or they won't, and you're better off cutting your losses early on and moving to a different bullet.
I haven't read through all the pages here yet but, for reference, both the 7-08s I reload for did best right at max loads of Varget (also tried Staball and H4350 with worse results). One is at 3045fps and the other is 3105, both 20" barrels, Lapua brass.

With Hammers?
Sorry BB I have not shot Hammers, We are mostly Sierra BK, GK or MK. & BERGER Hybrids -OTMs
I guess I need to get with the program along with you "BB" and others and try some Hammers. I trust your guidance. I have heard nothing but the best results from all that use these Hammer bullets.
I would like and GREATLY appreciate it if someone could send me a few thousand of 6mm, 6.5mm and .338 Hammer bullets so I can try them out and see how good they are!
PM me and I will give you my shipping address.

Thanks
Len & Jill

Last edited:

Recent Posts