Varget and Retumbo

Ucsdryder

I was told by a friend today that his LGS had a letter from Hodgdon saying these 2 powders were not being sold retail, indefinitely, due to demand by lake city (military).

Anybody heard or seen similar?

I don't care either way tbh.

Theyre both on the list of powders I've decided not to bother trying and don't need. Overrated. I'm sure they are great but just…people lose their dang minds about them and the prices are nuts and then you see what people pay for them on auctions and such and you know what…THEY CAN KEEP IT!

H1000
Retumbo
Rl26
Varget

I think that's my list for now. I will admit, if I stumbled upon rl26 "in the wild" I would jump on it but I'm not actively trying to find or obtain it. Just too mental.

I know they may be a tad more temp sensitive (though not bad at all in my opinion and experience) - but I think right now I'm happy to just stick with what's working for me Regarding the slow burners which is "old reliable" imr 7828 ssc and rl25 and superformance (which in my experience is way slower than they say it is, but being a progressive burn rate double base it's hard to pin its behaviour down regardless) all three have been easier to obtain than retumbo or h1000, to say nothing of rl26, for me, especially off auctions or buying from private individuals, and they don't command quite as obscenely ridiculous a price. I like 'em. Though superformance doesn't smell good after it's been fired 🤣

I forget what burn rate varget is exactly but either way, for that medium-fast ballpark I've come to quite appreciate h380, leverevolution, and of course the mainstay h4350 for a bit slower rate and another old reliable, imr 4064 (which has produced some of the finest accuracy I've ever obtained in a few cartridges) on the faster end. I don't need varget!

Last edited:
I had heard no retumbo until 2024 out of Australia

Varget is everywhere. You can
fall down in the woods and land on a jug.....

You cant beg, borrow, or steal retumbo. RL26 is also mostly unobtanium.

Plenty of H1000 around though.
Every other time you fall down in the woods you can land on a jug.

Its not temperature insensitive like Retumbo but its very very close to both Retumbo and RL 26 if you arent in extremes on temp.

Get Accurate Magpro.

I use it in my .300 WM.

RL 26 isnt temp insensitive either, especially over 90 F or in a hot chamber.

I picked up 4lb of Retumbo in trade last week to try in my 300prc because apparently it doesn't want to shoot h1000. I'm hoping it loves the Retumbo and hates h1000 and it's not a more sinister issue… sounds like I better hoard the Retumbo I have tho!

ADI manufacturers those powders here in Australia, the plant that stored RETUMBO powder had a fire, the manufacture of RETUMBO was ceased in 2021 due to this fire. Varget is stored elsewhere, so still in production, maybe the letter was true because total amounts of powder being made is much less since 2020. Both facilities have had fires and production suffered.

Cheers.

Glad I got 11 lbs of Retumbo two years ago. My dad's .264 wm loves the stuff. It's a hunting rig though, so I have plenty to last. Varget is available, just bought some from powder valley a couple days ago, along with H4831sc and H1000.

RL26 on the other hand is just a myth, made up by 6.5 creed shooters so they can tell fish stories about how their creed duplicates PRC velocities......it doesn't actually exist.....lol