243 and varget

Varget is temp insensitive.

I tested 87 gr 243 and Varget in a work up.
The primer pocket loosens between 43 and 44 gr.
Exactly as Quickload would predict, between 72 and 77kpsi.

WOW...thanks for all of the input guys..right now im limited to h4350 and imr 4064..thats all i have on my shelf other than varget...i like the 100 gr pills mainly due to the length..it seems to me that i read somewhere that length was a better predictor for accuracy combined with twist rate rather than weight and twist rate...these are some seriously long pills...also, while its primary role will be for busting song dogs, the rifle is so light and it points so naturally, that i can imagine that it wont start accompanying me to the deer woods on occasions...and im pretty confident that 100gr sgks will put down even the largest of kentucky deer...

Try the 95 gr bal-tip with either IMR-4831, AA-3100, or VV-560 with BR-2 primers .005 off lands factory rifles shoot under 1/2" with these powders..Sako and a Tikka. Loads are in the Nosler book. This bullet kills whitetails very dead. I have found the .243 likes a pretty full case of the slow stuff with heavier bullets.

I use VV-560 with the 105 A-max in my 243AI 1-9 twist. You might want to try this bullet they are pretty cheap for a great bullet. I have taken deer and antelope 'out there' with this bullet. Recommended twist is 1-9 by Hornandy.

Try the 95 gr bal-tip with either IMR-4831, AA-3100, or VV-560 with BR-2 primers .005 off lands factory rifles shoot under 1/2" with these powders..Sako and a Tikka. Loads are in the Nosler book. This bullet kills whitetails very dead. I have found the .243 likes a pretty full case of the slow stuff with heavier bullets.

I use VV-560 with the 105 A-max in my 243AI 1-9 twist. You might want to try this bullet they are pretty cheap for a great bullet. I have taken deer and antelope 'out there' with this bullet. Recommended twist is 1-9 by Hornandy.

I just loaded up 2 ladders with the 4064 and the 4350...if i dont get tight groups out of one of these, then ill either change powders or bullets..it seem there is alot more load data out there for the 85 grain pills than there is for the 100's...

If your going to the 85's SGK (actually a hollow point bullet) I had great succes with one or the other 4350's. One rifle liked the IMR the other Hodgon. It killed deer very dead also, devastating thru the rib cage. A very accurate bullet to but a 243 is an accurate cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.