1000 yards mountain hunting rifle - Seems like everything is compromise... What do I get?

caesar55

Long range mountain hunting needs a heavy hit and light rifle.
I am not and will not reload.
So naturally I went with 338 Lapua Magnum thats before I discovered the price of ammo.......
The next best hitting cartridge over twice less the price (which is the highest I can afford) of 338 is 300 PRC (correct me if I am wrong).
So now looking at 300 PRC rifles. Much more choice than 338 or so I thought. If I buy 5K plus rifle than it defeats the ammo savings purpose. Also sub 1MOA is enough. So all the customs like H-S, Gunwerks, Allterra, Red Rock..... are out. AND I looove chasse rifles (although thats not a requirement).
First thing that comes to mined is Christensen Arms MPR would be perfect if you knew what you were getting.... (between the issues with the action, the barrel....) if you hit a lemon with high chance you are screwed.
There is Kelby's Nanook MG but its almost twice as much as the MPR and havent seen many reviews on it. Not sure its worth twice the MPR.

SO..... for what I see I am left with:
FIERCE FIREARMS Rival either carbon or twisted (let me know whats better)
or
Proof Elevation MTR. What ****es me off there is that not only there is no custom cheek riser they didnt even include a freaking muzzle device..... But that rifle is no doubt will perform will have no issues.....

So although I was excited to buy a rifle I see no exciting options.......

What am I missing?

Long range and light weight are possible, but when you add in reasonable price to the package (whether ammo cost or rifle cost - and not reload for it), you can sort of pick any two of those three. Long range is spendy and off-the-shelf ammo quite frequently is not all together sufficient.

Wby 307 alpine MDT in 300PRC? May be a little too expensive but I think they look pretty sweet.
IMG_3566.png

That's actually my other question. Would you buy a used precision rifle? Without knowing how it was treated?
Most people that are doing custom barreled actions/rifles are honest folks and if they say 200rds down the barrel, that's accurate. Obviously there are lemons out there but from what I've seen you should be good to go.

So naturally I went with 338 Lapua Magnum thats before I discovered the price of ammo.......
The next best hitting cartridge over twice less the price (which is the highest I can afford) of 338 is 300 PRC (correct me if I am wrong).
So now looking at 300 PRC rifles. Much more choice than 338 or so I thought. If I buy 5K plus rifle than it defeats the ammo savings purpose. Also sub 1MOA is enough. So all the customs like H-S, Gunwerks, Allterra, Red Rock..... are out. AND I looove chasse rifles (although thats not a requirement).
First thing that comes to mined is Christensen Arms MPR would be perfect if you knew what you were getting.... (between the issues with the action, the barrel....) if you hit a lemon with high chance you are screwed.
There is Kelby's Nanook MG but its almost twice as much as the MPR and havent seen many reviews on it. Not sure its worth twice the MPR.

or
Proof Elevation MTR. What ****es me off there is that not only there is no custom cheek riser they didnt even include a freaking muzzle device..... But that rifle is no doubt will perform will have no issues.....

What am I missing?
.338 NM!

Pretty sure that's still at least $100 per box, since the OP has no interest in handloading.

What am I missing?
A lot of cartridges will work for you. The PRCs in 300 or 7mm. The belted variations of them. They're all fine. You can do a short action in a 7 SAUM, a lot of guys prefer in sheep country. Although we all like to split hairs here, whatever's common for you to get in that magnum cartridge category will do the job.

Bullet performance, and of course, accurate shot placement being key in any long range mammal slaying.

As far as the rifles…again, people complicate things. A lot of rifles you can get right off the shelf can shoot 1 moa or better. My wife's stupid little ruger American in 708 I've gotten to shoot 1/4 moa @ 100y using hornady factory eld after it broke in.

or

What am I missing?
Have you looked into Bergara? They guarantee sub MOA.

There is one cartridge nobody has mentioned, 300 Winchester magnum. It's killed more game than any other cartridge out there.

As far as rifles go, I owned a Christiansen arms and it didn't shoot so I would suggest that, seekins rifles are a really good factory options. You could also go Tikka as well. Those are the two I would choose, if not going custom.

Last edited:
There is one cartridge nobody has mentioned, 300 Winchester magnum. It's killed more game than any other cartridge out there.

As far as rifles go, I owned a Christiansen arms and it didn't shoot so I would suggest that, seekins rifles are a really good factory options. You could also go Tikka as well. Those are the two I would choose, if not going custom.
What you mean didn't shoot?