1000 yards mountain hunting rifle - Seems like everything is compromise... What do I get?

Just because a rifle is sub-moa at 100 does not mean it will be sub-moa at 1000. There are WAY more variables that will affect bullets at that distance.

A 1mph shift in full value wind will push a 230 Hyb over 4" @ 1000. Misjudge speed or direction, and your groups go to hell.

10fps variation in MV will make a 2" difference in drop. Factory ammo is less that excellent with ES/SD. I have seen 40-120fps difference in a single box. That can increase drop variation to 24". With hand loads, you could help mitigate some of this if you know what you are doing.

An 1/8" difference every time in hold will make 2.4" difference in POI. Can you hold 1/8" at 1000? Thickness of a reticle can make that much each time.

Wind DIRECTION shifts will make not only windage, but elevation changes as well.

Barrel harmonics are a real thing with velocity shifts. Even at 400 yards, can make a big difference in POI. 1K, you could easily see 12-36" in vertical dispertion.

Then, there is shooter capability.

Last edited:
Just because a rifle is sub-moa at 100 does not mean it will be sub-moa at 1000. There are WAY more variables that will affect bullets at that distance.

A 1mph shift in full value wind will push a 230 Hyb over 4" @ 1000. Misjudge speed or direction, and your groups go to hell.

10fps variation in MV will make a 2" difference in drop. Factory ammo is less that excellent with ES/SD. I have seen 40-120fps difference in a single box. That can increase drop variation to 24". With hand loads, you could help mitigate some of this if you know what you are doing.

An 1/8" difference every time in hold will make 2.4" difference in POI. Can you hold 1/8" at 1000? Thickness of a reticle can make that much each time.

Wind DIRECTION shifts will make not only windage, but elevation changes as well.

Agreed. So what do you recommend? (Me reloading is out of the question)

Price wise 1.5 times more expensive than 300prc. But thank you
Yes Sir!
No doubt that Hornady with the PRC cartridges have taken over the market with availability of Factory Ammo, Price, Factory Rifles being manufactured and very good ballistics in the PRC calibers offered.
I guess that I am just an old timer holding on the tried -n- true Cartridges. There are a lot of new advancement in new cartridges/bullets and the ballistics that go with them.
I am a .338LM & 338LMAI (hard core). We have several lifetimes of components and $$$$ tied to this. Now getting used to the idea of a .338 Norma Mag and have an extra .338 Barrel, but the cost to change over to the .338NM is not practical economically.

You now have a lot of choices (almost too much) of what to buy for your requirement. If you change your mind later on you only have the cost of a new rifle or just a barrel change. You don't have all the costs associated with reloading.

Wish you luck on a new rifle and cartridge for your future hunting adventures!

Barrel harmonics are a real thing with velocity shifts. Even at 400 yards, can make a big difference in POI. 1K, you could easily see 12-36" in vertical dispertion.

Some illustration to your point. Most were using factory ammo haha. Some cool rifles on there. Different personalities. Zero first shot impacts on steel.

Last edited: