0-300yrds hunthing

The 30-06 has probably taken more game than any one round
We should ask ourselves why….

The 30-06 has been deemed the great game slayer because of how many were in the hands of hunters.

That was due to all the surplus rifles and surplus ammo flooding the market for sooooo long at bottom dollar.

Even when I was a kid, 30-06 was $6-8 a box, but everything else was $17-20. Now that is 5.56. ….and it was available everywhere. I remember stopping at a gas station that only had 30-06 for sale!

Due to the ammo situation, every brand made almost every rifle in 30-06 and some other calibers.

It works. Why would you ever change? Now that ammo is the same price as other standards, I would probably not choose 30-06. I would choose 270 Win, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 CREED, 7mm-08, etc.….or I chose 300 Sherman….which I tell folks is like an improved 30-06!

First:
Recoil IS, very "manageable" on the Bench for me at, 74 y/o and I DON'T hardly feel it at all, Practicing on steel plates or, shooting Game !
Thanks for making me feel like a youngster at 71!

The .270 keeps on getting overlooked but it is s Hammer with the 156HH. LA, Fast twist 1:8, add freebore, readily available brass and components. Recoil even with max load is very manageable.

I built a fast twist .270Win and surprised the dickens out of me. I settled in at 3200fps with the 156HH, 3075fps with the 170EOL so it it more than capable for the need you described.

LINKS:
.270TH Ladders
.270 Velocity Pool

IMHO if you don't want to go to 7mm Mag for moose, then 284 Winchester would get my vote. It will kill anything (no Grizzlies) out to your 300yd range stated effectively. Only reason for 7mm-08 would be to get a shorter action. The old tried and true 284 Winchester would be my choice! Why do you think there are so many wildcats made off the 284, it is a good efficient designed cartridge. Much better design than the 308 family of cartridges, why do you think a lot of people Akley Imp the 243, it is a better more efficient case design.

Hi everyone, 300yrds is not longerange but I juste realise Im getting old and whant a light rifle to carry around on fine hunting. Got what I need for the longer shot.

Game will be white tail deer up to moose.

Dont whant to use a break on the rifle so thinking on light caliber.

I got die to load for 284win, 7mm08 but thinking about 270win and 243win too....

What will be your choice? Im open to other caliber too
I'll even narrow this down to one do all load and zero. 308 Win 165 gr Partition 200 yard zero. Even at a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps and sea level with that 200 yard zero you're 9 inches low at 300 yards. My buddy has taken most of his elk with that load and 300 yard range limit.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I have a .243 that I'm in the process of re-barreling to .308 because it did not perform as well as I would like on a doe I shot last season. Don't get me wrong, the .243 is an enjoyable cartridge to shoot but even for a cartridge under 300 yards I prefer one that will kill quickly with authority and not just adequately. I will stick with 30-06, .270 and .308, but the one I'm taking to the woods for whitetails tomorrow and most days is the .270. Nobody can go wrong with any of those in my opinion and if needed recoil is easily managed by using say a 125 or 130 grain bullet vs. 150 or higher.
I'd advise you sir to use a different bullet. We have fairly large deer here in Michigan and .243 with correct bullet is about as fast of kill as you can get.
You are using the same case for the 308 so you give up speed for weight which I don't think is gonna do anything different.
It would be my personal choice out of what he has with a 70-80gr mono or partition. But I also like the 7mm-08 with a hammer zipping right along.

IMHO if you don't want to go to 7mm Mag for moose, then 284 Winchester would get my vote. It will kill anything (no Grizzlies) out to your 300yd range stated effectively. Only reason for 7mm-08 would be to get a shorter action. The old tried and true 284 Winchester would be my choice! Why do you think there are so many wildcats made off the 284, it is a good efficient designed cartridge. Much better design than the 308 family of cartridges, why do you think a lot of people Akley Imp the 243, it is a better more efficient case design.
That line from "Lone Survivor" about shooting a large caliber man with a small caliber round comes to mind... What if you meet a Grizzle on the trail? (Sorry, couldn't help it.)

I'll even narrow this down to one do all load and zero. 308 Win 165 gr Partition 200 yard zero. Even at a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps and sea level with that 200 yard zero you're 9 inches low at 300 yards. My buddy has taken most of his elk with that load and 300 yard range limit.
Got the 308 but not fan of it for no reason, might be cause I miss my second deer this year.... that he was 200yrds but was closser to 300yrds.... will have mist it with about any caliber 😅

That line from "Lone Survivor" about shooting a large caliber man with a small caliber round comes to mind... What if you meet a Grizzle on the trail? (Sorry, couldn't help it.)
Will be very surprise that I meet a grizzle.. he will be on a run from a zoo from where I live 😂😂

My 7lb 30-06, with a 200gr ELD-x at 2695 FPS has a MPBR of 272yds. A topline shot should be good out to at least 350 yds with a 11.6 in drop. Or you could hold slightly high with a 19in drop at 400yds.

First:

Thanks for making me feel like a youngster at 71!

The .270 keeps on getting overlooked but it is s Hammer with the 156HH. LA, Fast twist 1:8, add freebore, readily available brass and components. Recoil even with max load is very manageable.

I built a fast twist .270Win and surprised the dickens out of me. I settled in at 3200fps with the 156HH, 3075fps with the 170EOL so it it more than capable for the need you described.

LINKS:
.270TH Ladders
.270 Velocity Pool
74 :) I pulled a large (for GA) doe out a week ago. two mile, three hour drag.

I've been transitioning towards the .308 recently. I fought it for years because I was using the .270 Win and the .30-06. However, my daughter wanted a .308 after shooting a friend's, so I got her one.

Her success with it has proven to be a balanced and effective cartridge. So I bought a well used M700 with with a broken stock. I cut it down to 18", threaded for my suppressor, dropped it into a Greyboe Trekker stock, topped it with a NF 3-10X42 SHV, and went and killed an elk.

My 7lb 30-06, with a 200gr ELD-x at 2695 FPS has a MPBR of 272yds. A topline shot should be good out to at least 350 yds with a 11.6 in drop. Or you could hold slightly high with a 19in drop at 400yds.
If you did a MPBR on my load it would mirror your trajectory. Not really needed for the OP's 300 yard range limit.