0 vs 20 MOA Scope Rail

Sam C

I need some help, i'm new to picatinny scope rails. I just bought a Tikka t3x Roughtech Ember in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm going to install a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm scope on it.
I would like to have fun at the range shooting 1000 yards or so but I would also like to use it to for hunting. Some hunting shots might be 50 - 100 yards or so. Would a 20 moa rail be too much for the closer shots? Thanks, Sam

I need some help, i'm new to picatinny scope rails. I just bought a Tikka t3x Roughtech Ember in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm going to install a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm scope on it.
I would like to have fun at the range shooting 1000 yards or so but I would also like to use it to for hunting. Some hunting shots might be 50 - 100 yards or so. Would a 20 moa rail be too much for the closer shots? Thanks, Sam
As @3chester, you'd be fine with 20 MOA rail. IIRC, you have at least 75 MOA (?) total elevation.

20 MOA.jpg

Have that same scope on one of my rifles. I'm using A 20 MOA rail and medium rings. Works well for me. My CDS turret will do 1380 yards with 7-08 and120 Hammer Hunter bullets.

Go for the 20 MOA rail.

Center the reticle with a mirror before mounting scope (make reticle reflection coincide with reticle) - better than counting lots of clicks.

Mount scope on 20 MOA rail then level/plumb reticle with axis of barrel.

Determine impact at 200 yards with centered reticle, then adjust for 200 yard zero. Adjustments should not be extreme low but near lower middle with a 30 mm or bigger tube scope, leaving 40 or more MOA to hit at 1,000. Impact at 100 will be 1.5 or so inches high with a 200 yard zero. Point blank range on deers & such close to 300 with a 200 yard zero.

My 6.5 CM has a 25-26 26-28 MOA drop with pointy 140 grain bullets at 1,000 with a 200 yard zero. Adjustments are about 75% up from reticle center.

Optics perform best when light path is directed thru center (axis) of lens, & extreme elevation settings will cause light path to move from lens axis.

"Light rays that strike a spherical surface off-centre are refracted or reflected more or less than those that strike close to the centre. This deviation reduces the quality of images produced by optical systems." - quote from optics wizard Wikiwhatever.

With scopes it's refraction.

When done -shoot a nice sub .5 MOA group at about 36 inches directly above point of aim using 1000-yard setting & ammo- this will give some indication of scope adjust setting & reticle leveling needed for 1000 yards.

The 6.5 CM is not a dopey or bloopy round but 30mm or fatter scope tubes help.

Last edited: