6.5-06 vs 6.5-06 AI

My take would be you can't go wrong with the standard 6.5-06.
I have had and killed game with the 6.5x57, 6.5 rem mag in a 98 mauser to take advantage of the longer 140's and the case capacity, as well as 6.5x284. I have also had and been very fond of the 6.5 win mag.
I finally sold all but the 6.5-06, which was originally a .256 newton and couldn't be happier, easy to make brass from 25/06 or 270 brass.
With a decent 140 grain bullet you can't go wrong.

I wonder would a 6.5-06AI round feed in a 25-06?

I don't thing you could close the bolt...so no fear of it firing...

How are you stepping down your 30-06 brass?

I just lube the case and graphite inside the neck...then run the 30-06 through the 6.5 sizing die just like I would any other 6.5-06 case. You really can't tell the difference...no extra force is needed to size the 30-06 cases.

As for feeding issue with the 6.5-284...if you are using a Savage action...it being a push feed it shouldn't have much of a issue depending on the original caliber of the action.

My 264wm doesn't feed very good from the original 270 mag well, but I plan to add DBM and AI mags once the season is over. It will mis feed if I put three in the mag. So I put two down and drop on in the chamber. It runs fine doing it that way. If you try to feed with three down, normally two come out...one of those get launched!?!?!?!?!?

Getting ready to build a 6.5-06 and wondering if Ackley improved is worth it? Would also like to learn as much as possible about these two calibers from people with 1st hand experience. Planning on using a 26" barrel,vias break, savage action, Boyd stock. Would like to keep the complete rig 10lbs or less. Primary focus is a nice long range deer & elk gun that is packable with reasonable recoil.
I just finished my first custom build. 6.5-06 26" Lilja with break, hs stock.
I wrestled with AI, Sherman, etc. and I ended up going basic due to my non extensive knowledge of Reloading. Brass resizing was effortless with 25-06 brass, reload data already published, and cheap dies.
I probably overthought it and worried too much, but I felt it wasn't worth the extra 100or so FPS.
So far while working up loads, I've been between .4 and 1" groups. And I'm just starting. Haven't chrono'd any yet.

I'm on my 3rd 6.5-06 barrel. Great round, simple to load for, Redding dies, simply neck up 25-06 brass, H4831 w/140'3. 8twist 26"barrel can run the 140's @3050 easy, usually run mine @3080.

Getting ready to build a 6.5-06 and wondering if Ackley improved is worth it? Would also like to learn as much as possible about these two calibers from people with 1st hand experience. Planning on using a 26" barrel,vias break, savage action, Boyd stock. Would like to keep the complete rig 10lbs or less. Primary focus is a nice long range deer & elk gun that is packable with reasonable recoil.

This boils down to a personal choice and only you can determine if AI (or any wildcats) is worth it for your required additional efforts and cost/intended purpose. I went through it a few years ago with .270 Win vs AI. I went with the AI and very pleased with it.

This is just me but I am not a fan of radial muzzle brakes like Vais, there are plenty of excellent choices at a very reasonable price (i.e., http://muzzlebrakesandmore.com/).

Good luck!

Last edited:
If you want to build a wildcat the 6.5-06 is a great cartridge to learn with or just add to your collection. The 6.5-06 I have is similar to your specifications and likes 142 ABLR. I use 58.5gr Retumbo to get 3050. Any similar bullet and velocity combination will effectively take deer/elk size game. I have use Lepua 30-06 and Norma 270 brass. I do not use a brake on this rifle. Do a comparison using Retumbo against other options (H1000, H4831) and you may find the Retumbo will have less felt recoil. The kids use this rifle so I didn't want a brake on it and I found Retumbo took some of the sharpness out of the recoil. Good limbsaver also well worth adding to your Boyd's at the factory. The truth is any new rifle is great and making it the best it can be is the challenge that makes you build another one, but just a little better. Enjoy

I really wanted to build a 6.5-06 and more so AI version, but.......

1- I like to grab a couple boxes of factory ammo and go shooting/hunting

2-for ease of resale as not everyone handloads so I like all my custom builds to have access to factory ammo

3- I really don't want to get into fire forming cases, maybe when Im retired Ill want a hobby like that.......

so I went with the 6.5-284 Norma and so far I'm loving it, very accurate, low recoil, no feeding issues at all, built on a Husqvarna H5000 (HVA) action, it has the same ballistics as the 6.5-06 A-Square and of course gives up the usual 100-150fps to the Ackley version.

For myself the labour of love wasn't worth going that route yet, but the 6.5-06AI sure peaks my interest as the 280AI is my go to hunting cartridge/rifle

I am surprised with the love affair of 6.5 cartridges lately that no ammo company has mainstreamed the 6.5-06 Ackley ?

I wish they would at least make head stamped brass...some factory ammo would spark more interstate in the caliber too.

The one I built for the wife has a brake, so I've never shot without one. I know the 270win has very sharp recoil in a normal weight rifle and didn' want that to be an issue with the wife.

Certainly nothing wrong with your choice. I built one on a Savage action for myself.

Sweet shooter too!

If you are new, to Reloading and want, a Deer / Elk, "slayer" with, slightly more power, the .270 WSM, in a Tikka T3, Gets the "job" DONE,.. far cheaper and with, FAR LESS, reloading, "Headaches", IMHO ! Weight with, a 4.5X14 Burris scope is, 7 3/4 Pounds. Range with, 140 AccuBonds @ 3,150 FPS,. 750 yards, and 850/900 yds If you like the 140 Bergers @ 3,300 ! Remington .270 WSM Brass is thick, cheap and tough and $40. per 50 at, Precision Reloading ! And FACTORY Ammo is available "in case" ! Tikka T3's "usually" shoot, 1/2 to 3/4 MOA if, loaded correctly. Total cost, Rifle/ Scope $1,200 Max. It's, a "Lazer" to 500 yds ! I shoot mine with, a Limbsaver Pad and NO Brake, in case I don't have time or, forget to, put my Plugs in,.. I won't lose, my Hearing !

Last edited:
If you don't like the .270 WSM, idea,.. go with, the 6.5 .284 Norma, as it's, pretty Modern and accurate! I do want to point out, one FACT tho,.. Today's ACCURATE Cartridge design "Trends", are leaning towards, short, fat powder column's, sharp shoulder, designs with, 30-40 degree shoulder's, to keep the Flame "Turbulence point" back from the Land/ throat area and "short" powder column's are, "efficient". Good luck with, your "choice".

If you don't like the .270 WSM, idea,.. go with, the 6.5 .284 Norma, as it's, pretty Modern and accurate! I do want to point out, one FACT tho,.. Today's ACCURATE Cartridge design "Trends", are leaning towards, short, fat powder column's, sharp shoulder, designs with, 30-40 degree shoulder's, to keep the Flame "Turbulence point" back from the Land/ throat area and "short" powder column's are, "efficient". Good luck with, your "choice".

I think that "trend" probably started with the introduction of the PPC cartridges for short range benchrest. They changed that world almost overnight. That was probably about 40 years or so ago. No doubt it had some impact on the WSM design also, but for sure their introduction hasn't had the same affect.
I mean were still talking about 6.5/06s aren't we, and the 300 WM and 7 RMs are still alive and doing very well also.

I am in the same boat. Just finished converted an old 1970's savage youth 30-06 to a 25-06. It was my 1st attempt at a semi custom. (Learned a lot) I have been a little worried about ammo mix up as well. I wonder would a 6.5-06AI round feed in a 25-06? How are you stepping down your 30-06 brass?
Ai will not fit in standard like cal.

What all is involved with case prep on the Sherman? I have heard a lot of good things about the Sherman as well but was worried about the case prep because I am still cutting my teeth on the reloading bench.
My experience was with 300 Sherman. Basically, I bought dies, bought Peterson brass, expanded to 338, then FL Sized with the final bushing until the bolt closed with minimal effort. The load was a minimal load. I think it went 2600 fps and fully expanded the case. Accuracy was oddly incredible. I shot several groups under 0.5" and one 0.25" group!