0-300yrds hunthing

Get a 30-06.I had a couple of 270 Win's before.I was never overly impressed with either one.I don't think it's any flatter shooting either.The 30-06 has impressed me.It's so much more versatile.You can shoot lightweight bullets or heavies if you choose.It's for certain a very hard hitter.If you load your own ammo,it's a better cartridge than its ever been.It's had a bad reputation as being a hard kicker,but the great recoil pads we have today have really changed that.If you can't find ammo or brass for it,you probably won't find anything else either.So many powders will work in the 30-06.I've used everything between Varget and Reloader26 in mine,not too many cartridges can do that.

Hi everyone, 300yrds is not longerange but I juste realise Im getting old and whant a light rifle to carry around on fine hunting. Got what I need for the longer shot.

Game will be white tail deer up to moose.

Dont whant to use a break on the rifle so thinking on light caliber.

I got die to load for 284win, 7mm08 but thinking about 270win and 243win too....

What will be your choice? Im open to other caliber too
Any light 30-06. 200 gr ELD-X bullet for any North American game. 270 yard Maximum Point Blank Range. After it's sighted in, how many times will you have to feel the recoil?

Hi everyone, 300yrds is not longerange but I juste realise Im getting old and whant a light rifle to carry around on fine hunting. Got what I need for the longer shot.

I got die to load for 284win, 7mm08 but thinking about 270win and 243win too....

I know this is long range hunting but personally I wouldn't (and I can hit a heart size target at 800 ) take a shot at big game at more than 400 just to much can go wrong and I just want to make the kill as fast and clean as possible that being said go with the .300 win mag the selection of bullets is wide and you might want to rethink the brake I have one on a 7mm mag and a .338 win mag good luck with your hunts and enjoy the outdoors it's a great place to be

I figured when I get to the point my STW is too much I would do a 280 with a 140 barns tts. Just my 2c worth. My daughter killed her first bull this year with a 140 tts and a 708, the 708 was a little light for that bullet but I think the 280 would be about spot on. Pluses I've kinda always wanted one

Get a 30-06.I had a couple of 270 Win's before.I was never overly impressed with either one.I don't think it's any flatter shooting either.The 30-06 has impressed me.It's so much more versatile.You can shoot lightweight bullets or heavies if you choose.It's for certain a very hard hitter.If you load your own ammo,it's a better cartridge than its ever been.It's had a bad reputation as being a hard kicker,but the great recoil pads we have today have really changed that.If you can't find ammo or brass for it,you probably won't find anything else either.So many powders will work in the 30-06.I've used everything between Varget and Reloader26 in mine,not too many cartridges can do that.
The 30-06 has probably taken more game than any one round

7-08. A 150 gr accubond at 2800+ should kill anything that walks or crawls inside 300. 150 gr in 7mm has the same sectional density as a 180 in 308. 308 would be my next choice considering you already have the 7-08 dies.

To the two or three of you debating the 6.5x55 vs Needmoor, you ever seen a sweedmoor? 6.5x55 with CM body taper and shoulder 🤯🤯🤯

I am not familiar with the 284 Win, that said is there much difference from the 7mm-08 to the 284 Win?

Looking at the Sierra Reloading App it shows about 100 fps more for the 284 Win, but with a 26" barrel vs. a 24" in the 7mm-08. And with 8gr to 10gr more of powder.

If both were 24", we would be talking about maybe a 50 fps difference? Is it worth it?

7mm-08 -140 accubond over staball shoots flat and kicks light …. in a model 7 or similar rifle

7mm-08 -140 accubond over staball shoots flat and kicks light …. in a model 7 or similar rifle
Yup and load, the 150 - 160 gr, AccuBonds or, 168 Berger HVLD'S for,.. the Moose !
My son shot, a Nice, Hefty Bodied, 5 x 6, Bull Elk, with his, 7mm-08 using, the 150 gr. ELD-X and StaBall in, a Tikka T-3 X.
Took 2 shots and he's now using,.. the 168 HVLD Berger's at 2,765 FPS with, StaBall ( Serious, "Pixie Dust", in the 7mm-08 ).
NOT, as "Flat" shooting or, Hard hitting, as my .270 WSM,.. but,.. kills fairly, well !

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the 284 Win, that said is there much difference from the 7mm-08 to the 284 Win?

Looking at the Sierra Reloading App it shows about 100 fps more for the 284 Win, but with a 26" barrel vs. a 24" in the 7mm-08. And with 8gr to 10gr more of powder.

If both were 24", we would be talking about maybe a 50 fps difference? Is it worth it?
The 284 is more in line with the 280 rem 10 grs more powder capacity and a stronger case at the webbing yes it's worth it if your looking for something hotter. The 7-08 would better be compared too the 7x57 loaded too it's potential like comparing the 6.5 Creed too the 6.5 Swede loaded too it's potential

The 284 is more in line with the 280 rem 10 grs more powder capacity and a stronger case at the webbing yes it's worth it if your looking for something hotter. The 7-08 would better be compared too the 7x57 loaded too it's potential like comparing the 6.5 Creed too the 6.5 Swede loaded too it's potential

Thanks Hard rock.