6.5-06 vs 6.5-06 AI

If I'm committed to a wildcat, I'd like the best of the type. 6.5-06 is good, 6.5-06 AI is better, 6.5 Sherman would be best in a long action on that case head as a wildcat. Once you jump into "wildcat", die cost, reamer rent, other custom reloading bits start to add up. ….if I do it, I'd do the best I could.

I would also seriously consider a 270 Winchester throated for longer bullets and an 8 or a 9 twist. That gives you standard ammo plus the option for near wildcat performance. Just be sure to have the barrel engrave with the freebore and twist, so it is clear it is not exactly SAAMI.

I wish they would at least make head stamped brass...some factory ammo would spark more interstate in the caliber too.

The one I built for the wife has a brake, so I've never shot without one. I know the 270win has very sharp recoil in a normal weight rifle and didn' want that to be an issue with the wife.

Certainly nothing wrong with your choice. I built one on a Savage action for myself.

Sweet shooter too!
Your wish is their command.

KSFvD7f.jpg

I have a 6.5-06AI semi custom built on a Howa 1500. I use 30-06 Lapua brass and run it fairly hard and get right close to 3200 with Berger 140's out of a 27.5in Lilja 1-8 and it shoots great, zero complaints with how it shoots. I also have a semi custom 6.5-284 built on a Rem LA 700 with a 26in. 1-8tw Shilen. It has more of a standard length throat so it, maybe, is giving up a little velocity but I doubt it's much. My 6.5-06ai definitely shoots faster but it's not some huge amount faster and IMO is NOT worth the extra work or expense. Both feed perfectly fine.

Just last week I was talking to Shawn Carlock w/Defensive Edge about doing his +P throat on my 6.5-284 because he gained a pretty decent amount in his 260 Terminator with the +P throat so if I gain the same 120fps in my 6.5-284 that he did in his 260 Terminator, I could very possibly have a 6.5-284 that'll shoot the 140's 3200 or slightly more, out of a 26in barrel.

If I were looking to build a new hot rod 6.5 and wanted to stay with a standard bolt face, it would be an easy decision, 6.5-284 is what it'd be and if I thought I wanted a little more performance than what the 6.5-284 could deliver, I'd talk to Shawn about doing his +P throat to it.

For me, it's a no brainer, the 6.5-284 is just so darn easy. You can use Lapua brass, there are very good dies readily available and they just always seem to shoot very well. The 6.5-06 is pretty much identical in case capacity to the 6.5-284 but the 6.5-284 is basically a load and go cartridge and, if need be, has factory ammo available. The 06 case gains very little when improved and having had both, I don't think it's worth the extra time or cost.
Hey B23, just what is the +P chamber or throat you're referring to? PM me if you wish. Thanks