0-600yrds target caliber

In my opinion the 7mm08 is better thant the 6.5 creedmoore
I know the creed got over pushed and turned lots of people off . From my personal experience, the 6.5 creed is the easiest caliber I've owned to get driving tacks . I like the 7-08 too, and any round on that case as far as that goes , but like everyone has one, opinions , I'd take the 6.5 bleedmore over anything on that great 308 case. Half moa is a big disappointment during load development with the creed for me. Same standard was budwiser time with the 08s.

When I worked a gun store years ago, we had a 240 Weatherby in the ultralight with a wood stock . Man, that thing was light ! One I didn't buy, and still regret it 25 years later .
The MkV Varmitmaster is even smaller (weight) than the Ultralight Wby. Don't blame you for the regret part.

The MkV Varmitmaster is even smaller (weight) than the Ultralight Wby. Don't blame you for the regret part.
I don't know recall exactly which model it was, but I do remember it was under 6 lbs and had a satin finished wood stock . No embellishment like the fancier mk 5s . Matte finished metal work too. It might have been a special run . The owners at the time were big Weatherby dealers and had strong connections with the factory. It was the only one I ever saw like that. The other ultralights we had were Kevlar stocked stainless fluted guns. That 240 was unique, at least in our stockroom.

I know your feeling, sold à 338win that was à limited run in vanguard laminated.... that was te last rifle I sold...

I don't know recall exactly which model it was, but I do remember it was under 6 lbs and had a satin finished wood stock . No embellishment like the fancier mk 5s . Matte finished metal work too. It might have been a special run . The owners at the time were big Weatherby dealers and had strong connections with the factory. It was the only one I ever saw like that. The other ultralights we had were Kevlar stocked stainless fluted guns. That 240 was unique, at least in our stockroom.
Yes, they were very light but I believe they used a standard MkV action where the Varmitmaster was based on a discontinued "miniature MkV" action.
Is this close to what you remember? I believe they come in at 5.75 pounds. I think they still make it but not in that great little .240 Wby Mag. There may have been a special run at one time as well from Wby called the Whitetail "super-light" and I thought it was in a .25 cal something like .257 Robert ??? and it was very lightweight as well. Oh! for the good old days. Cheers!

markv_ultra_lightweight-scaled.jpg

I only hunt targets 🤔. Not worried about sd. Quail on the other hand........ different story! Them good eating!

Yes, they were very light but I believe they used a standard MkV action where the Varmitmaster was based on a discontinued "miniature MkV" action.
Is this close to what you remember? I believe they come in at 5.75 pounds. I think they still make it but not in that great little .240 Wby Mag. There may have been a special run at one time as well from Wby called the Whitetail "super-light" and I thought it was in a .25 cal something like .257 Robert ??? and it was very lightweight as well. Oh! for the good old days. Cheers!

markv_ultra_lightweight-scaled.jpg

The 240 was likely a varmintmaster then. It had a slimmed down , minurature mk5 action. When I say ultralight, I'm speaking of its physical weight, not Weatherby model designation . Of the stainless fluted rifles we carried, only one had the action like the little wood 240. Based on your description of the varmintmaster , I think it must have been one in the same. Back I n those days, although I did a little bit of accurizing on customers rifles...bedding stocks, scope lapping, barrel cutting and recrowning, free floating, and trigger work....I was the ARCHERY pro at the store. I didn't spend much time learning individual model designations. If I could find that rifle, I'd buy it this morning, lol.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane .........sorry for the hijack, OP.
I still say 6 ARC, LOL

Dont want a break on that project, but maybe on on of my hunting rifle to stay on target
I BRAKE my 3, Target / Varmint, Rifles as, I have plenty of TIME, to put Ear Protection,.. ON !
I like, controlling,.. Muzzle "Jump" !
Big Game, Hunting Rifle's, NO, Brakes,.. in case,.. I forget OR,.. DON'T HAVE,.. Time !
But, I don't shoot any,.. real Loud "Cannons", either !

JMHO

Your right at hunting we dont have alot of time often.

For my targey rifle, in competition their the no break rule so dont whant to changé my set up

I HAVE, a Brake on my 6 XC but, I don't shoot,.. Competition with, it.
Just Steel Plates, Paper Targets and,.. Varmints !

Recent Posts