Zero at 100 Yards and Leave Turret at 200 Yards for Hunting?

Keep your 200 or 300yd zero man, it's ok. I'm just trying to convince OP to listen to the guys who do this for a living and have more experience than most of us combined

Zero at 100. Use reticle and holdover if you have to make a shot that far that you don't have time to dial for...which is uncommon. However, that's the point of having graduated reticles w/ FFP scopes. Usually a shot like that presents itself within 100 yards, so your 100 yard zero is fine. The point of a 100 yard zero is so that all of your scope adjustments will be up. It's very simple and straightforward, and works from point blank to as far as you can shoot.

For my 338 Win Mag hunting elk in the Unitas... I have it sighted in 2.5" high at 100 yards, so I can hold on the cross hairs for shots out to 300 yards, the longest I am likely to only have a quick shot.

Again, OP I would advise listening to professionals if you have a modern scope with external elevation adjustment/dialing.
Then shoot the hell out of it

I know that my 300 yard zero works perfect for me, and I just took 1st place in a 250-1100 yard shoot with it 3 months ago. No idea what zero everyone else was using, nor do I even care haha. I dont get paid to sell or write anything, I just use what works for me, and try to pass on factual field experience to others. I could care less who does and says what. Actual field shooting experience and facts, trumps anything else in my mind. If it works for me, you nor any other "professional" is ever going to change my mind. I mean I think I'm a professional, I just dont get paid for it, that's about the only difference there, lol :)

Yikes, there is a big difference there. Bold statement to say you're knowledge of long range shooting is on their level, I'll uh take your word for it. Good job at the local match though, congrats!

I mean it was somewhat local, 3 hours from me, and everyone is welcome, had people from 3 states show up. Not really that much of a difference. They just happen to find a way to market themselves and be in a position to make money, and network with people. Not everyone cares, nor has the desire for that. I just love to load and shoot, not to be bothered by anyone, and I really dont care for 90% of people, so obviously that wouldnt be a wise career path for me. Not to say I havent learned a bunch from others, or helped out others along the way in 20 years either. Thanks for the kind words :)

Last edited:
zero dead on at 100yds. then look at your program and dial to 200yds. set that as your zero. then set your zero stop belpw the 100 yard mark. then you can quickly dail to 100 if you would ever need to.

With a turret scope I set 0 at 100 yards then I learn the turret out to 600 yards in hunting rifles. they have defined clicks so even in dark you can feel the clicks. Use a cheat sheet or ballistic calculator on phone to get your clicks. I think if you have a turret use it as prescribed. on my non turret scopes I sight in at 200 yards and still keep ballistic calculator handy