100 or 200 yard zero

mww982

Originally started off with the idea of doing a 200 yard zero but after reading on here and Rokslide, decided to go with a 100 yard zero.

Think I'm off to a good start. Have CDS dials on order for Texas and Colorado but also considering just learning how to really dial and put the info on my stock.

Attachments

• IMG_3924.jpeg
    IMG_3924.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
100 if you shoot off the dial, 200 if you shoot off the wire. Cheer.
Plan on setting the zero stop at 100. Turning to 200 when in the field, so I'll be good from 100-300 if a quick shot is needed. Will dial if I have time and out past 400, if I get comfortable shooting at that distance. Planning on keeping shots 350 or less if I can.

I think you will see the bullet only flies 1" high roughly at 100yds and 150yds with a 200yd zero.
50 - Zero
100 - 1" high
150- 1" high
200 - Zero

Anything that presents itself within 200yds is a no change in hold shot. So, why fuss with anything less than 200. Past 200 is where you see drop enough to compensate.

300! It's worked quite well for us for a long time! Now with our CDS scopes…..nothing has changed, the zero on the CDS is 300 yards!

If things are happening rapidly from zero yards to 400 yards ….."hold on hair" while making a very small adjustment for the ranges encountered. You only have to follow the simple recipe for success ….."hold on hair"! 😉

The above comments are based upon a fairly flat shooting cartridge/bullet combination! Using this method…..you will find that you will seldom use this CDS system……but, it's there if/when you need it! memtb

Last edited:
I need always ask the guide the 'Average " range at which the Mule Deer / Antelope are shot. Then YOU need to know your bullet, the weight , The BC, the velocity, and the energy at the range you will most likely be hitting the animal. On a Mule deer hunt in 1980, way before I had any understanding of a ballistic App, I simply had my .270 Weatherby Mag, with a 130 Grn Sierra GK, at 3300 /3325 fps zeroed at 300 yards for that hunt since the outfitter said many deer are taken between 300 to 400 yards. So, I was 3 inches high at 100 yds , 4 inches high at 200 yds , Zero at 300 yds and 7 inches or so low at 400 . So for the longest shot I expected to have, hold the cross hair on the back. As you can see there was no science here. Today, 100 yard zero, Memorize my 200 and 300 yard drops, if I need a faster shot, at a moving deer, but generally use the turret and adjust MOA based on ranger to the target . That is the most precise, IF TIME PERMITS !!!! ( I never, ever get the deer that pose at 200 yards, Like on TV. )