Your going your hunt of a lifetome what are you hunting and what rifle are you using ? Mine is easy

Just a note of my opinion. I have a man cave pretty full of taxidermy. Started reducing them to euros to have more funds for hunting and fishing, but now actually wishing I had only brought home photos of my hunts. If I had done that, I could have gone on even more adventures more often.
JMO now, but I'd rather go on a hunt than sit in front of my fireplace looking at past hunts. They are already in my memories.
Now I mainly focus at passing the hunting experience on to my granddaughter. She has been successful on some Texas exotics, mule deer, turkey, antelope, prairie dogs, and bear with dogs (toughest hunt so far).
My favorite cartridges for my hunts have been 30-06 for lower 48 and 375 H&H for Alaska and Africa. Plain Janes, but have worked well.

Last edited:
Bull Moose in Maine. Up by Wilson Mills and the Rangely Lake area. Tag out early and finish up with some Grouse hunting and some of the finest Smallmouth Bass fishing over the last few days.
Did that already 45 years ago in Maine. A 59 inch bull a mile from my remote camp on the Dire road on a hill called Fat Man's Woe. Trout off my dock in the evening during a Mayfly hatch. Whitefish and Togue trolling streamers. Countless whitetail deer. Many Ruffed Grouse hunts. Teaching my kids about all this and watching them thrive in the wild. Lived that dream for 20 years. Exchanged the wilderness camp for a beach house in Downeast maine. Wish I still had it but the memories are still there.

Just a note of my opinion. I have a man cave pretty full of taxidermy. Started reducing them to euros to have more funds for hunting and fishing, but now actually wishing I had only brought home photos of my hunts. If I had done that, I could have gone on even more adventures more often.
JMO now, but I'd rather go on a hunt than sit in front of my fireplace looking at past hunts. They are already in my memories.
Now I mainly focus at passing the hunting experience on to my granddaughter. She has been successful on some Texas exotics, mule deer, turkey, antelope, prairie dogs, and bear with dogs (toughest hunt so far).
My favorite cartridges for my hunts have been 30-06 for lower 48 and 375 H&H for Alaska and Africa. Plain Janes, but have worked well.
I am with you! After paying for taxidermy for 15 animals, I wished I just had the photos. Could have gone on a couple of more hunts. No longer looking for trophies! Hunts and pictures

Last edited:
The Hunt is a New Mexico or Colo Elk hunt !! The rifle is my Weatherby Mark V Rifle, in 300 Weatherby Mag. Leupold 4.5X to 14 X , with Custom Turret to match the load. Load will be something close to a 180 Grn Partition, at 2900/3000 fps. And!!!! get myself down to 190 pounds!!!

Did that already 45 years ago in Maine. A 59 inch bull a mile from my remote camp on the Dire road on a hill called Fat Man's Woe. Trout off my dock in the evening during a Mayfly hatch. Whitefish and Togue trolling streamers. Countless whitetail deer. Many Ruffed Grouse hunts. Teaching my kids about all this and watching them thrive in the wild. Lived that dream for 20 years. Exchanged the wilderness camp for a beach house in Downeast maine. Wish I still had it but the memories are still there.
Very nice. I did the hunt in the area I mention in 2012 with my dad and son-in-law. Dad was stubborn and didn't want to hire a guide so it was total DIY which I was good with. I live in Az and was unable to scout but he got after it scouting as he lived in Monmouth, about 2.5 hours from the hunting grounds. He hunted with his Savage Model 99 in 358 Winchester loaded with some hand loads I made with a Barnes 200 grain TTSX. We had an opportunity at a small bull but it didn't come together. Did some Grouse hunting from the small camp/cabin we stayed at in Wilson Mills. It was a great time!

Ive been putting in for the tag since 2006 and am hoping to draw it someday. Dad passed this past October and it's my desire to get up there again and hunt Bull Moose and stay in the same cabin with my son-in-law. This year I put in for a bonus point only due to other planned hunts I have. If I ever, or when I draw that tag, I will have a barrel made up for one of my rigs in 358 Winchester and load up some rounds from the same box of bullets I loaded for him. That would be fulfilling his dream and very satisfying and memorable for me. I miss that guy.

IMG_0472.jpeg

Very nice. I did the hunt in the area I mention in 2012 with my dad and son-in-law. Dad was stubborn and didn't want to hire a guide so it was total DIY which I was good with. I live in Az and was unable to scout but he got after it scouting as he lived in Monmouth and 2.5 hours from the hunting grounds. He hunted with his Savage Model 99 in 358 Winchester loaded with some hand loads I made with a Barnes 200 grain TTSX. We had an opportunity at a small bull but dad passed on it. Did some Grouse hunting from the small camp/cabin we stayed at in Wilson Mills.

Ive been putting in for the tag since 2006 and am hoping to draw it someday. Dad passed this past October and it's my desire to get up there again and hunt Bull Moose and stay in the same cabin with my son-in-law. This year I put in for a bonus point only due to other planned hunts I have. If I ever, or when I draw that tag, I will have a barrel made up for one of my rigs in 358 Winchester and load up some rounds from the same box of bullets I loaded for him. That would be fulfilling his dream and very satisfying and memorable for me. I miss that guy.

View attachment 564124
Priceless! Sorry for your loss! Still have the memories though

My Dream hunt is for an Alaskan Moose but with the price of those hunts it will never happen. If it did I would take my McWhorters 300 PRC with 24" Proof Research Barrel, 215 Bergers @3012 FPS, Nightforce ATACR 5-25 and pray for the right bull to step out into the open somewhere so I could get a shot at it! I am heading back to SA for a Buffalo hunt in 2025. I will be hunting with a great friend that I consider to be a brother so that is probably going to have to suffice. I will be using my 416 Rigby in a Ruger RSM with a Leupold VX6HD 1-6 x 24 and 400 Grain Barnes TSX bullets.