What rigs are you using

areyoujelen

Hi I'm new to the forum and adjust curious what kind of rigs everyone is using. I am from Mississippi, but my heart is in the west, some of the most beautiful country in the world! As for my guns ,nothing too special, for hunting i am hunting with a model 700 aac-sd 308 for my "long" range around here and a 300 blk I use for walking. I also have Sako 270 wsm I plan on doing some work on for a pack gun out west. After some research on here I've notice many of you carry a second gun for a canyon gun or extra long range. What caliber do y'all use to reach out and touch them? Thank y'all and hope y'all have a great season!

areyoujelen,
Welcome to LR Hunting. The West surely has some beautiful, open country. I worked for Mettler Toledo out there and traveled a lot in Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana. I loved it out there. The scenery is breath taking and humbling when you realize He spoke all this in to existence.

I don't have canyons to shoot across but the bean and corn fields here get lengthy. I practice in a field called the "Thousand acre field" where the middle path is just over 1800 yards. Still that doesn't compare to the part of the country thats tugging at your heart.

My rifles are both Savage 112 BVSS's, one in .300WinMag and the other is 6.5-284Norma. Both, I feel, provide the ballistics necessary to put a bullet on target from most anywhere a rifleman feels confident with his abilities.

Good luck in your search. JohnnyK.

A decent size 30cal seems to get the nod. A 300 win or RUM would make for a good LR hammer.

That will cover most of it.

The big 7mm are likely to surge if Berger can keep up with the demand for 195's. Depending on how much terminal performance you need the .338's are tough to equal or beat. It seems to be the place debate stops on whether you brought enough gun anyhow.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.