Your favorite FFP reticle for hunting…

My favorite FFP reticles

● must have thick outside posts, so when my FFP scope is at low magnification the thick posts will guide my eyes to the intersection of the crosshairs.

● should have a few numbers so I don't have to count with my eyes where my 7.5mil holdover hash mark is located.

● are illuminated — I don't mind the extra ounce it weighs, but rather have the extra help to see the reticle better when at low magnification on my FFPs. And of course I need it for my low light and night shooting situations.

● are uncluttered (non-XMas tree), as to give me better scope cam footage.

● are mil reticles, that match my mil turrets.

One example below: Falcon S18i 3-18×50 FFP

Matthias

Scopes. Falcon. Reticle B24. Of the S18i. 3-18x50 FFP.jpg

My favorite FFP reticles

● must have thick outside posts, so when my FFP scope is at low magnification the thick posts will guide my eyes to the intersection of the crosshairs.

● should have a few numbers so I don't have to count with my eyes where my 7.5mil holdover hash mark is located.

● are illuminated — I don't mind the extra ounce it weighs, but rather have the extra help to see the reticle better when at low magnification on my FFPs. And of course I need it for my low light and night shooting situations.

● are uncluttered (non-XMas tree), as to give me better scope cam footage.

● are mil reticles, that match my mil turrets.

One example below: Falcon S18i 3-18×50 FFP

Matthias

View attachment 362165

If you're using the reticle for elevation, what do you do for wind past a few mil under center?

Sor

I should clarify: How do you account for wind with the reticle pictured when you hold more than a couple mils under center?
i suspect most hunters/shooters using that style reticle(no Christmas tree) would either dial elevation, and, either dial windage also , or use the "main" reticle scale for windage.

You eyeball it. Just because there isn't a dot matrix or Christmas tree for a direct reference point, doesn't mean you can't extrapolate the existing lines. There was a time before all the fancy reticles and people managed to shoot just fine.

You eyeball it. Just because there isn't a dot matrix or Christmas tree for a direct reference point, doesn't mean you can't extrapolate the existing lines. There was a time before all the fancy reticles and people managed to shoot just fine.
Otherwise referred to as guessing.

Much more accurate to use a known measurement tool though.

i suspect most hunters/shooters using that style reticle(no Christmas tree) would either dial elevation, and, either dial windage also , or use the "main" reticle scale for windage.

I'd agree. You see these types of thin in all direction reticles in a lot of scopes purported to be hunter centric these days. I'm figuring the theory is that a lot of hunters don't care for a "cluttered" reticle, so you end up sacrificing usability in the interest of having it appear more open.

The point I'm getting at is that having 8-10 mils of holdover without wind reference points somewhere closer than the center line doesn't really offer that much utility in a reticle design. If you need that much elevation, you're going to need some wind in the majority of hunting situations. If the answer is that elevation is dialed, and, concordantly, measurements are only needed on the horizontal crosswire, why have a thin vertical that disappears or gets tough to see at low X? In theory, it could be said that you could dial for wind, but in practice, wind is variable and you still need something on the windshield as a quick reference before you commit to taking the shot. Instead of a thin, non tree vertical under center, a thick or double line under center that could be used like #4 on low X would give the reticle much more utility. Something like the THLR.

There was a time when people didn't expect as much out of their shooting systems in terms of ability to hit far off objects. And of course tags still got filled. But, that observation isn't really relevant in the context of discussing the best FFP reticle for hunting.

I think it's logical to conclude that if you're interested in toting an FFP reticle in the field, you're also interested in hitting targets further beyond MPBR than what you could easily do with a standard SFP Duplex. As such, the ultimate functionality of a reticle is defined by how consistently it allows you to hit targets at your intended distances. IME, holding wind 5-6+ mils under center without a close reference for measure does not yield results consistent enough to attain the hit probability I feel comfortable with in taking shots at live animals.

As I said in an earlier post, THLR is the ffp hunting reticle. Christmas trees are really for prs, and the thin in all directions are not a great option for hunting. I've already pestered nightforce about offering THLR or something similar, it would be great it others helped add pressure on them too.