Your favorite FFP reticle for hunting…

MtnOak

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times on here but I'm fixing to purchase my first FFP scope for hunting and Saturday long range matches at a gun club, would like to hear your favorite reticle for this…

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times on here but I'm fixing to purchase my first FFP scope for hunting and Saturday long range matches at a gun club, would like to hear your favorite reticle for this…
It boils down to personal preference. Others might consider some reticles too busy but "I" do not have any problem with them. Not all reticles are created equal. If you can and your budget allows it, go for one with illumination.

What scope/reticle are you considering?

I really like the ebr 7c from vortex but that may just be out of habit. I've used vortex ffp scopes exclusively over the last ten years and your eye gets used to using the same or similar reticle after so long. I do like the looks of the leupold t moa reticles though. Less busy and I like the gap where the crosshairs meet in the middle. More hunting oriented in my mind.

It boils down to personal preference. Others might consider some reticles too busy but "I" do not have any problem with them. Not all reticles are created equal. If you can and your budget allows it, go for one with illumination.

What scope/reticle are you considering?
I was considering the leupold mark 5hd PR2-mil reticle but I'm afraid for close up hunting or low light I would be in trouble.
I really like the Nightforce NXS illuminated (center) reticle but I can't seem to find one in FFP.

Im also a little crossed up on what power low and high to go with, this scope is going on a Remington 700 tactical 300 win mag.

Athlon APRS1 or 3. A good idea for you would be to look on Cameralands website. They have a reticle page with just about all of them out there from all of the different manufactures. It's good info and can make easy comparisons.

I think the AMR and MPCT 3x reticles have a lot to offer in this specific field. You get your drops and holds in the form of a tower that draws your eye to the center of the reticle at low mag, but doesn't obstruct as much of the target IMHO. I don't particularly care for Christmas trees but see their value, for whatever reason I find it easier to get behind these two reticles. Floating dot or open center floating dot is the way to go. A bigger floating dot (Element APR Reticles) will offer better visibility for hunting but may give up some of the precision in a match scenario. Look very heavily at subtensions because they do not all work with every person's brain. I really like the MPCT 3x where you have .2mil on one side and .5mil on the other or reticles that have straight subtensions all the way across at .2mil intervals. I find the NF Mil-XT to be obnoxious where they alternate sides with .2 and .8 on one side and .4 and .6 on the other.

Most people I know like the floating dot, I personally prefer a full crosshair.
My favorite currently is the tract toric FFP MRAD reticle. Very simple .5 mil holds on windage and elevation and a nice thickness for hunting.