Your favorite FFP reticle for hunting…

I was considering the leupold mark 5hd PR2-mil reticle but I'm afraid for close up hunting or low light I would be in trouble.
Illuminated helps in this type of situation, esp. in timber. The PR1-mil is not oo bad either, https://www.leupold.com/reticle/Illum-FFP-PR-1MIL/
I really like the Nightforce NXS illuminated (center) reticle but I can't seem to find one in FFP.
I think they only make them in SFP. Hopefully, others will chime in.

"If" you are concern about close shots/quick target acquisitions the NF reticles FC-DM/DMx and FC-MIL/MOA are ...

Designed to meet the needs of today's discriminating carbine shooter.

Created and optimized for low-power variable riflescopes. As first focal plane reticles, elevation and windage markings are valid at every magnification setting, providing precise hold and reference points. At low power, the bright daylight center dot and segmented circle are visible under the harshest light, allowing fast, accurate target acquisition. https://www.nightforceoptics.com/technology/reticles/fc-moa/

Last edited:
The EHR-1C and EHR-1D reticles on the Element Optics Nexus are similar to the NXS MOAR reticles with the illuminated floating cross and are FFP. Made by LOW in Japan just like the NXS.

https://element-optics.com/product/nexus/

8rXkkrwgL9OyXDZSEgkLtWn9oKPjX5UEMecWgYB-dXsB-yjYEotiaU8Drx2KRyhkEVf7ICOz4lfMX52jbf6d0WH9SmI2I5tocOlz7daCejAuQovaLYGZcQBIG7MINEvwSbg_ZSStxw=w1000

Although no wrong answer as everyone has their own like, to me the Nightforce Mil C reticle is the simplest to hunt with, read and use for wind holds if if a tree reticle is not a favorite. As mentioned earlier all marks are .2 mils and nothing is cluttered. Now... I prefer and have the TT and ZCO scopes for obvious reasons and they are uncluttered as well ie. TT Mildot, the ZCO MPCT1 etc but the Mil C seems to be a nice compromise of not too small, not too thick and quick to read.

I prefer the an uncluttered reticle on FFP scopes for huntiing, and even PRS. My favorite FFP reticle for several years has been the S&B P4L Fine reticle on my PMII. For double duty, hunting, and PRS, I'm liking the MPCT 1 on my recently acquired ZCO 420(bottom)
A221A548-9A95-4968-A4B6-DA69FD2FCD9A.jpeg

D4471671-9E59-4E2A-9938-85716A523E4D.jpeg

I like reticles with a floating dot in the center, helps me focus on a finer point of aim. The ZCO mpct1 and TT Gen 3 XR are examples.
I'll second the floating dot in the center.

Since you mentioned Saturday matches I'd also suggest going with a "tree" style. All clubs are different but majority of matches I have m gone to had a stage or two where it's faster to hold over for some targets than to dial, add in a little wind and you'll quickly realize why the tree is so useful.

All the major optics you are likely shopping for will have an offering like this.

My personal preferences are (in order of preference): ZCO MPCT2, Vortex EBR-7B/C, Vortex XLR, Kahles SKMR3

1. I like a floating center illuminated cross - I find it allows me to focus subconsciously. I prefer it to a dot.
2. I like a clear top field for FOV
3. I like windage hashes for definite holds. That's the real trick in shooting. Drops are just math. Holds are art.
4. I mostly dial elevation, but having a bit of hash for elevation hold is appreciated
5. I like having my eye drawn to the center. So thicker outer posts that point to thinner inner wires that lead to the illuminated central cross.
6. I prefer the function of FFP, as long as the erector isn't >6x (+/-). I think for most situations, SFP is ok. FFP induces weight. But I like the wind hold being the same at any mag. 8x erectors are too fine at low power for my taste in most situations. And I definitely prefer 1x or 2x low ends for hunting (I tend to have to settle for 3x).

Admittedly, I think in yards, so MOA over MIL, but they're interchangeable in reality. Just depends upon what scale you've been raised with.

So to that end, start with a German #4 and modify it.
A NF MOAR or NP-1 are decent and Trijicon's MOA Precision on their 2-10x36 is pretty nice.
31068B0D-A3C4-4CF3-A107-5F8C22F37ED4.jpeg

Leupold had something with their Wind-Plex and Swaro with their 4Wi. Leupold's T-MOA is ok, but just a touch too busy.

I think the best one I've seen yet is Gunwerks' RH1:
6534332A-8572-4E6A-A114-28A9E9BF68FA.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times on here but I'm fixing to purchase my first FFP scope for hunting and Saturday long range matches at a gun club, would like to hear your favorite reticle for this…
Welcome to the forum @MtnOak !

I'd specify first of all I would go MIL not MOA. I prefer a tree but not super busy like a Horus. Get one that makes sense on the marking divisions enough that it's easy to understand all the way down but not so specific that it requires studying when in use.

I also prefer the floating dot usually but have a Hawke with an open cross center that I think I like that part of also.

FFP, especially with a big magnification range, you want fine detail in the center and big bold main stadia wires - main crosshairs. Illumination can help too if it's done right. On say a 4-30X at 4x you can hardly make out the tree/fine inner markings and big bold main crosshairs draw your eye to the aiming point. If lit, almost a red dot center. Zoomed in to 30x the main cross dissappears to the outer edges and all that detail is front and center. So close in faster shots you have the speed of a simple crosshair and at distance you get the detail for wind and elevation.

Mil works better for both metric and imperial IME. More exact and universal. The only reason it seems "metric" is because metric is better being base 10 to start with. MIL is not metric. It is 1/1000 the distance.

I too struggle thinking yds/feet/inches and the conversion is more difficult but it's not MIL's fault. A mil is 3.6" at 100yds (0.1 mil click is 0.36"). 100yds÷1000=0.1yds then the conversion 0.1yds*3ft/yd*12in/ft=3.6". You can use rods or cubits or whatever distance it's the same 1/1000 ratio.

I almost missed my Elk last year because I can't seem to get my old brain to shift gears to metric fast enough. My main hunting buddy is military and for him it's meters. Meters is better and it's my mind that needs to change. I wish we would have changed when I was a kid and Canada did. This would all be easier.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times on here but I'm fixing to purchase my first FFP scope for hunting and Saturday long range matches at a gun club, would like to hear your favorite reticle for this…
Probably to late as it Sat morning now, I have good luck with the Arken and very happy with the Vortex Venom with the mil and H 59 and they have a little dot in the center, not cross hair's in the reticle , but depends on $$$ you willing to spend, mine tracks perfectly and hold zero, zero stops and good glass, sure you will have many replies to this . You can always sell them later and upgrade. Good luck

Bushnell Forge with deploy mil (or moa if you are more comfortable)

Simple is better. I prefer the MPCT 1 reticle which Zero Compromise offers. The right balance of fine vs bold, .2 marks for wind and elevation holds and nothing more than what is needed to make a precise hold. When zoomed out it functions like a duplex for close range engagements and zoomed in you can measure and reticle range known size targets. In matches or hunting I shoot and hold win to the tenth at 12 power out to 600 yards 15-20 power beyond on that.

Recent Posts