You think GAS is HIGH

I've been retired for 7 years. Now with inflation what it is I've had to go back to work. IRA disappearing so fast that I don't think it will last as long as me.

It's hard to determine, we have no idea how long we will live. We don't get the hand outs that the illegal immigrants get, and know that at the rate our bodies are going down hill, we won't be able to work 10 years from now. Thought we were all set,but now we have to spend 3 years retirement every year to keep up with bills.
Critter Picker I hear you. Reall SUCKS to finally get to retirement and have saved all your life only to see it all disappear within a few months. Never had time to react to the Market so we lost a lot of money. I can't even add to this because it saddens us so much how one person and Party can destroy a World Economy.

I have read the previous few posts and there is a misconception in regards to refining and what oil gets refined and then where it goes. I am in that side of the business.
West Texas Intermediate (WTI) is a very light oil, in its natural state it looks like diesel, it is easy to refine, if you have the right process.
Heres the irony, due to increased demand and lower domestic production that began back in the late 60's and 70's the majority of the refineries that were built, and existing refineries that were modified were engineered to refine heavy sour crude that we had to import from Venezuela, West Africa and to some extent the Middle East to keep up with our domestic demand. There has not been a refinery built in the USA in that last 45 years 85% of the existing refineries will not efficiently refine WTI or the Bakken Crude. The Keystone pipeline was being built to transport the heavy crude ( Its actually bitumen not crude oil) form Canada for purpose only, to blend with the WTI to run it through the refineries that are designed to refine the heavy crude. There is Canadian crude being imported now through the existing Keystone pipeline system and couple of other pipeline systems and amounts to about 600,000 barrels a day the Keystone segment that FJB nixed would have added about 800,000 barrels a day. Did you know we export about 500,000 barrels a day of light sweet to Canada as most of their refineries are designed for Light Sweet Crude.
The reason we still import crude from overseas is to the blend with WTI as explained above and to take up the slack from not being able to refine our domestic production. Approximately 70% of the Light Sweet Crude we produce is exported due to the fact that we do not have the refining capacity to refine the Light Sweet Crude. The reason there have not been any new refineries built is due to federal air quality regulations, that have only gotten stricter every decades. In other words you can not get the permits to build a grass roots refinery. There is new technology that meets the air standards and we will see new refineries being built in the near future. A crude oil refinery is not a simple undertaking and takes 2 to 3 years to bring on line, they are huge.
Exxon/Mobil is modifying 2 of the largest refineries in the USA to refine the WTI crude and have invested over 6 Billion to do so, these refineries are in Baytown, TX and Beaumont, TX and should be complete late 2023. These 2 refineries will help but won't fix the issue.
Guess who owns the largest refinery in the USA, Aramco, yep thats right the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the Motiva refinery in Beaumont, TX guess who's oil they refine ha ha.
The very last thing you want to happen is for the US Government to take over the oil and gas industry, that would end up as the biggest cluster that has ever existed, private industry is way way more efficient that Uncle Sam can even dream of. Just look how well they handled Health Care, the Covis BS, Social Security, and the real gem Afghanistan.
That's my 2 cents worth like it or don't but that is actually how it works kiddos.
What are you trying to do confuse them with facts?

I've been retired for 7 years. Now with inflation what it is I've had to go back to work. IRA disappearing so fast that I don't think it will last as long as me.

It's hard to determine, we have no idea how long we will live. We don't get the hand outs that the illegal immigrants get, and know that at the rate our bodies are going down hill, we won't be able to work 10 years from now. Thought we were all set,but now we have to spend 3 years retirement every year to keep up with bills.
Sorry to hear that. Things will turn eventually.

Well said sir,

Would you agree the fix would be to lessen the restrictions on refineries and give assurances that the FJB types would not be able to hijack their industry again.

Well said sir,

Would you agree the fix would be to lessen the restrictions on refineries and give assurances that the FJB types would not be able to hijack their industry again.
The fix is to get the Government out of all of our businesses, the Government we have now are not about We the People, who in theory and as stated in the Constitution are public servants, not so much anymore. Most people have no idea the amount of regulatory hurdles that have to be jumped to get a refinery, a pipeline or a power plant for that matter approved, millions of dollars are invested at risk to just perform the studies, actual field surveys, ROW acquisition before you can even do the filing for the permit and every bit of it is at the private companies risk. Just finished a project, 130 miles of pipeline, the upfront prefiling cost were in excess of 80 million dollars and took a little over 2 years before we received the Notice to Proceed from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commision. (FERC)
Why does the FERC have regulatory status over this project? Because it crosses a state border line. If the project did not cross the state border it would not fall under their jurisdiction and the cost to achieve the same goal to build the pipeline would be greater than 2/3rds less costly and little to any risk involved. The FERC commissioners are not elected officials they are appointees and are political party appointees, its so corrupt it is mindblowing.
To get a refinery permitted takes a minimum of 5 years and in all cases up until this year have all been denied. There is a proposed refinery in Texas that received its air permit this year, thats the 1st in 42 years people.
Our Congress and FJB should be making our license plates.

Oh theres no question pandemic didnt start the **** show. I watched this go down the democratic party argued hard on shutting economy down. But bidens moves is what killed us. We were much better march of 2021 a year into covid then we are now. Side note i live in California and oregon my whole life you can't actually convince me that democrats know what they are doing. Both states are completely fucked and broke. Homeless numbers are a disgrace. Crime rate lol i guess you keep crime rate down if you dont arrest the people consistently making crimes? A state with economy this big with as much taxes they get. We should not be broke…
Trump warned about shutting down the economy but governors in most states made that decision. The ones that didn't shut down or only shutdown for a small amount of time were s**t upon. The democrats were aware that shutdowns were going to destroy the economy they felt it was worth the suffering of the American people particularly the low and middle class (who they claim to protect) to try to crash the economy so Trump wouldn't get re-elected. What they didn't take into consideration is if they won they would then be the ones blamed and rightly so. If Brandon had not been elected they would still be trying to stay shut down. Bottom line is they caused it, they were warned against it, and they own it. It has zero affect on them so they don't care. The sad part is the people suffering like the gentlemen above that are retired already.

Duckman,

I agree with almost everything you say, however we do not need the government in the oil business. That is a fundamental principle that I will not waver from. We don't need the government competing against private companies.

What we do need is to lower ALL OF THE RIDICULOUS restrictions on oil refineries. We also have a problem even if they did lower restrictions who wants to put money into an industry that Brandon said he wants to kill.

Jim from Tennesee can you please tell us all if you would invest in an industry that your president pledged to shut down.
If I had the money , absolutely. If you had bought stock in exxon back in Nov of 2020, you would have more than doubled your money by now and received dividends. When the president talks about becoming carbon free or independent on fossil fuel, he means over a long period of time. He was not talking about it occurring during his administration. He was talking about this occurring over the next 40 or 50 years which in reality is probably more like 100 years or more even with California achieving 100% power using renewables. In the meantime there is allot of money to be made in the industry. Nothing invested now will go to waste. Maybe in 40 or 50 years but not now. Like I said, I think the industry is hurting itself by not putting as much money as possible in it right now. The longer people suffer with these prices, the more they think about other forms of energy. People keep saying that its Biden and the democrats driving this. If the public did not support them then this would not be happening. Its not just the US, its global. If oil companies could figure out a way to sell gas for $2 a gallon, we would never get off of fossil fuels. We would be the last country on the planet using fossil fuels. Its like cigarettes. People aren't smoking less because they are health conscious. They are smoking less because cigarettes are $6 a pack. Of course, the reason cigarettes are high because of taxes but its the same principle. Make things more expensive and people stop buying. Its happening right now with gas. They say that more than 50% of americans are driving less because of gas prices. I know I am driving less. That is ok in the short term but if it continues, people will start purchasing more electric vehicles and more fuel efficient vehicles. The days of the soccer mom driving the suburban will be over and never to return.

I was reading an article the other day. China has more refining capacity than any other country in the world but they are limiting the amount they export. The reason they are limiting it is because they are afraid it will interfere with their plans to become carbon free. Wouldn't it be ironic if China achieved this before the US. They are kicking our backsides when it comes to renewables. Politics in this country has stifled the growth of the industry and as a result China is decades ahead of us. Back in the late 70's, solar was starting to take off in this country and then it was dumped in the 80's and it was the 90's before we took interest in it again. We lost probably close to 20 years worth of development because of politics and as a result China is far superior to us in that area. If you ever want to buy solar panels, make sure it says made in China.

The fix is to get the Government out of all of our businesses, the Government we have now are not about We the People, who in theory and as stated in the Constitution are public servants, not so much anymore. Most people have no idea the amount of regulatory hurdles that have to be jumped to get a refinery, a pipeline or a power plant for that matter approved, millions of dollars are invested at risk to just perform the studies, actual field surveys, ROW acquisition before you can even do the filing for the permit and every bit of it is at the private companies risk. Just finished a project, 130 miles of pipeline, the upfront prefiling cost were in excess of 80 million dollars and took a little over 2 years before we received the Notice to Proceed from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commision. (FERC)
Why does the FERC have regulatory status over this project? Because it crosses a state border line. If the project did not cross the state border it would not fall under their jurisdiction and the cost to achieve the same goal to build the pipeline would be greater than 2/3rds less costly and little to any risk involved. The FERC commissioners are not elected officials they are appointees and are political party appointees, its so corrupt it is mindblowing.
To get a refinery permitted takes a minimum of 5 years and in all cases up until this year have all been denied. There is a proposed refinery in Texas that received its air permit this year, thats the 1st in 42 years people.
Our Congress and FJB should be making our license plates.
Refineries are superfund sites which is why the regulations exist. We can get rid of all the environmental regulations as long as you don't mind not living very long and dying of some horrific disease. I personally would rather spend a little more and live a little longer but that just me.

China is the last country i would say is ahead of us. When directly related to green anything. And everything they make is already designed that they made a knock off of. Also going electric is a bs scam. All it is pressuring people to go electric why? Soneones pockets are getting lined. The impact on the environment to make a all electric car surpasses a modern combustion engine vehicle. Just because its not burning gas at the moment it's being used doesnt mean it is carbon free. Also if they were truly wanting to go green they would allow more damns too be built. Solves two problems water and clean energy. But fixing those two problems doesnt fit the agenda. California is low on water because the consumption has increased 100% from when they designed the original damns. So why would oil industry jack up there prices to push us to go green? They wouldnt. Policies is forcing it. Biden cant even tell you why. One day its helping us the next he can't change it the next hes trying to fix it. Maybe they should put it on a flash card for him. We know he cant say hello or choose where to sit….

Refineries are superfund sites which is why the regulations exist. We can get rid of all the environmental regulations as long as you don't mind not living very long and dying of some horrific disease. I personally would rather spend a little more and live a little longer but that just me.
Ok so liberal logic buy it from third world country where there is no regulations. Tax companies to the point where they go to china to make it where they can afford too and no regulations.

If I had the money , absolutely. If you had bought stock in exxon back in Nov of 2020, you would have more than doubled your money by now and received dividends. When the president talks about becoming carbon free or independent on fossil fuel, he means over a long period of time. He was not talking about it occurring during his administration. He was talking about this occurring over the next 40 or 50 years which in reality is probably more like 100 years or more even with California achieving 100% power using renewables. In the meantime there is allot of money to be made in the industry. Nothing invested now will go to waste. Maybe in 40 or 50 years but not now. Like I said, I think the industry is hurting itself by not putting as much money as possible in it right now. The longer people suffer with these prices, the more they think about other forms of energy. People keep saying that its Biden and the democrats driving this. If the public did not support them then this would not be happening. Its not just the US, its global. If oil companies could figure out a way to sell gas for $2 a gallon, we would never get off of fossil fuels. We would be the last country on the planet using fossil fuels. Its like cigarettes. People aren't smoking less because they are health conscious. They are smoking less because cigarettes are $6 a pack. Of course, the reason cigarettes are high because of taxes but its the same principle. Make things more expensive and people stop buying. Its happening right now with gas. They say that more than 50% of americans are driving less because of gas prices. I know I am driving less. That is ok in the short term but if it continues, people will start purchasing more electric vehicles and more fuel efficient vehicles. The days of the soccer mom driving the suburban will be over and never to return.

I was reading an article the other day. China has more refining capacity than any other country in the world but they are limiting the amount they export. The reason they are limiting it is because they are afraid it will interfere with their plans to become carbon free. Wouldn't it be ironic if China achieved this before the US. They are kicking our backsides when it comes to renewables. Politics in this country has stifled the growth of the industry and as a result China is decades ahead of us. Back in the late 70's, solar was starting to take off in this country and then it was dumped in the 80's and it was the 90's before we took interest in it again. We lost probably close to 20 years worth of development because of politics and as a result China is far superior to us in that area. If you ever want to buy solar panels, make sure it says made in China.
One I was not talking about buying shares in a company. I was talking more on the lines of bank rolling a new refinery.
Two if the guy you seem to think is doing a great job in the WH meant slowly over 40-50 years reduce fossil fuels. Why did he on day one starting trying to kill the oil industry.
Three we have common ground on you and I agree he and his colleagues are trying to drive up the costs of fuel and it shows with their policies.
Four if you think China gives a **** about about going carbon free you are not as intelligent as I perceived you to be. China is by far and away one of the worst transgressors to pollution in the world. China has one goal to become the one and ONLY Super Power. The sad thing is with FJB policies in place we are helping them achieve their goal.
Five Why wound you cripple a major industry in your own county to in turn have to go and beg OPEC, Saudi Arabia, and Venezuela for the very thing we have here and we do it much cleaner?

Yes they sure were when the built them back in the 50's 60's and early 70's, the technology didnt exist then that we know have, I too dont want to see the environment destroyed and they can be built and regulated in a manner that will not have the big downsides that the previous generations left us with. They have spent lots of money cleaning up their mistakes and in many cases out right criminal activities that have brought on the negativity. It has actually put many of them out of business and rightfully so. But, whether you like it or not we live in a hydro carbon society and that isnt going to change in the next 10 or even 50 years, and we cant live without that industry without going back into the stone age.
If it all went away right now, today, 80% of the people in this nation wouldnt last 2 months.

China is the last country i would say is ahead of us. When directly related to green anything. And everything they make is already designed that they made a knock off of. Also going electric is a bs scam. All it is pressuring people to go electric why? Soneones pockets are getting lined. The impact on the environment to make a all electric car surpasses a modern combustion engine vehicle. Just because its not burning gas at the moment it's being used doesnt mean it is carbon free. Also if they were truly wanting to go green they would allow more damns too be built. Solves two problems water and clean energy. But fixing those two problems doesnt fit the agenda. California is low on water because the consumption has increased 100% from when they designed the original damns. So why would oil industry jack up there prices to push us to go green? They wouldnt. Policies is forcing it. Biden cant even tell you why. One day its helping us the next he can't change it the next hes trying to fix it. Maybe they should put it on a flash card for him. We know he cant say hello or choose where to sit….
Thats because you have not done any research at all regarding china and green energy. China has the largest renewable power fleet in the world. They say it generates 323 gigawatts of solar and 338 gigawatts of wind and are hoping to achieve 1200 gigawatts by 2030 and it looks like they will achieve it before then. They are handing our backsides to us.

No one is making anyone buy electric vehicles. People are buying them by choice. I know a half dozen people who own electric and none have complained. None have said that there total energy costs have done anything other than gone down. As for the oil industry, they are not jacking up their prices to drive everyone to go green. I never said they did. That was your interpretation. I said that more people going green is a result of their unwillingness to produce more and drive prices down. There was a member on here on another thread that said they don't need a car right now but when they do, it will probably be electric. The longer it goes on, the more they hurt themselves.

ok I haven't done research in china or the electric grid or know anything about it. Its only my profession for the last 17 years. Wind power is a joke. 1.1 million dollars to build a windmill. Itll never produce enough electricity to pay for itself. Lets start believing china now. Spoiler alert china lies about a lot.