20131109_080806_zpsd859bb29.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Capture_zpsf48226b2 (1).png
    Capture_zpsf48226b2 (1).png
    82.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20131109_090516_zpsa8d83569.jpg
    20131109_090516_zpsa8d83569.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 19
I'm assuming from the satellite pic that he was supposedly shooting from his house. I certainly wasn't there but....

I kill a bunch of yard varmints from the back porch, pole barn, etc. I can't think of one where I didn't find some support - side wall, porch bench, door frame, something. Even without taking the time to set up prone, there are too many opportunities for quick and easy support that I can't imagine why you wouldn't take one for a shot that long.

I believe the shot is possible. I can hit a soda can every time @ 100 yards off hand non supported. I understand he was shooting a long ways but i think its definitely possible. Now a 223 doing that damage at that range? Im having a hard time believing that.

That seems like excessive damage for a small FMJ; but I've never shot an animal with a FMJ before, maybe that is possible.

I would not venture to say they are lying, I dislike when people tell me I'm lying when displaying shots I've made... especially if they are saying it behind my back.

Shooting without a bipod or support, at an un bedded animal. Sounds like a overly sensitive soul, trying to satisfy too many internet critics. He was definitely given the critter a sporting chance!

Let him tell his story it might be the only one he has. There are people who have the kind of credibility that I would believe them, and those who do not. This falls in the category of I don't know.

Occasionally we all get a gift from God. I've made a couple of shots I couldn't repeat with lots of time and a fifty gallon drum of ammo.

I try to get kids started in hunting. I would instruct them it's is a low percentage shot.

I know I cannot make that shot. 100 yard shot on a pie plate is pushing it for me with iron sights supported or unsupported.

ADDITIONAL FACT: Apparently had a .270 Win on standby.

Given someone who has any breathing control from shooting offhand in matches or otherwise, I'd say it's a cakewalk. 223/5/56 nato is good to 400-500 yards with 55's. Most people haven't got the ability to shoot offhand standing well and couldn't have done that, but silhouette shooters make those shots to 500 meters every time they shoot so I say it's a fair shot. I'd have likely kneeled or sat myself.

As to the wound, looks like he put the pill through some bone on the way out.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.