Yet another caliber comparison. 300Win Mag or 7mm rem mag

I think the Berger's are great for long range shooting but destroy far to much meat on impact! They basically explode and have minimal penetration. I have the 7 rem mags bigger brother and use it for long range deer and antelope. For Elk and Moose go with the 300 Win Mag good 190's and above are recommended out to about 450 if your a good shot and conditions are right. For the longer range stuff on the big animals I use a .338 Lapua with heavy bullets. Just my experience, good luck with all the advise you are getting!

If a 14 year old kid can drop a bull elk on live TV with his dad and uncle just shy of 1400 yards with a 7 Mag 180 grain Berger bullets, why on earth does everybody thank they need a 300 Win Mag or bigger to kill that same animal at 200 - 300 yards.

Lost too many elk with the 7mm Rem Mag. Moved to the 300 Win Mag and they all hit the ground quickly now. Hunting without snow in the heavily wooded timber now prevalent in our unattended national forests, elk don't have to go too far and you'll never find them. Granted, my shot placement may not have been perfect, elk hunting isn't like sitting at the rifle range. Sometimes you only have seconds to take a shot in the timber. Never lost an elk with the 300 Win Mag. Lost 3 with the 7mm Rem Mag. 7mm Rem Mag is fine if you've got all day to line up a high shoulder shot or a heart-lung shot. Shot one bull in the timber @ 75 yards that was facing me. Never got that one. He bled line crazy, but he ground was dry and lost the blood trail. I figure the 7mm bullet didn't penetrate all that bone. Probably blew up on impact, never penetrating the brisket.

This is more complicated than it sounds, both the post and the responses.
First of all, it is difficult to know if something is exactly straight on in a hunting situation.
But more importantly, I have seen bullets hit near dead center to a "facing" chest and follow the rib cage around, leaving a wounded animal that can go a long distance. I did this once decades ago with a 270 on a hartebeest and was fortunate to have a second shot at a running hartebeest broadside and closer than the first shot as it followed some oribi and cob up the low spot in the land. Second shot was a spectacular tumbling DRT, sliding to a stop.

What did I learn? Frontal shots are tricky.

Of course, I want to believe that heavier, wider bullets have a better chance of smashing through the sternum area with less chance of deflection. That is how I justify carrying heavier rifles. But things are not always clear.

Here is a picture of a hartebeest that my son shot "face on" at 183 yards. He circled around for an unnecessary finishing shot. The "fly" on the top right shoulder is the 416 bullet sticking out.
Sw0YC9O.jpg

He shot the "brave" herd bull in the front chest when it turned to watch their backtrail after a 2 km tracking. The bullet hit the chest frontal area and somehow angled up, almost exiting the top of its right shoulder. The second picture shows from where the shot was taken. He came around an anthill and dropped to his rear for a sitting shot when faced by the buck.
KLlOavQ.jpg

Left center of picture in the distance.

So everyone is right on this. The lost elk may have been a "shot placement" issue and it may have been that a heavier caliber (or better bullet) in the exact same spot could have dropped the elk. We cannot know and therein lies the need for every hunter to choose their tools and take their risks.

Last edited:
Lost too many elk with the 7mm Rem Mag. Moved to the 300 Win Mag and they all hit the ground quickly now. Hunting without snow in the heavily wooded timber now prevalent in our unattended national forests, elk don't have to go too far and you'll never find them. Granted, my shot placement may not have been perfect, elk hunting isn't like sitting at the rifle range. Sometimes you only have seconds to take a shot in the timber. Never lost an elk with the 300 Win Mag. Lost 3 with the 7mm Rem Mag. 7mm Rem Mag is fine if you've got all day to line up a high shoulder shot or a heart-lung shot. Shot one bull in the timber @ 75 yards that was facing me. Never got that one. He bled line crazy, but he ground was dry and lost the blood trail. I figure the 7mm bullet didn't penetrate all that bone. Probably blew up on impact, never penetrating the brisket.
Put a Hammer hunter or QUALITY bullet in the RIGHT place that ain't going to happen. Swift Scirocco, ABLR, NP, A Frame, TBBC, TTSX would of ended the affair. Cant blame .284 for that. For all we know it wasnt good placement or just bad bullets. To get a substantial increase over the 7RM you go to a big 338

My suggestion- use the search feature. This exact cartridge comparison has been discussed to death hundreds of times on this very site. You are about to receive opinions from both sides, as well as opinions on why both cartridges are not really what you need and your .270win will do just fine, and you might even get told to buy a creed and hunt from a moving airplane. :D

As already stated both will do the job. I have a .270 and went with the 300 Win. Mag. as I liked the power of it over the .270 better then the difference between the 270 and the 7mm Rem. Mag. From game I have seen taken with the two I prefer the 300. But as we all know shot placement and bullet chose are the most important.

I think the Berger's are great for long range shooting but destroy far to much meat on impact! They basically explode and have minimal penetration. I have the 7 rem mags bigger brother and use it for long range deer and antelope. For Elk and Moose go with the 300 Win Mag good 190's and above are recommended out to about 450 if your a good shot and conditions are right. For the longer range stuff on the big animals I use a .338 Lapua with heavy bullets. Just my experience, good luck with all the advise you are getting!

Check the Muzzle Energy of the caliber and bullet combination to see how much energy (ME) it produces at your maximum confident shooting range. You can determine this with ballistic tables from various apps for your smart phone. Like much of this there are various theories on what kind of energy you need to put down an animal weighing up to 1200 lbs, assuming a heart lung shot. My experience and those of many other hunters I respect is; 1000 Foot Pounds of energy for large buck deer and any large male elk you shoot will weigh at least twice as much as that trophy deer. A good sized moose, figure about three times more than that large trophy deer and I am talking about Western Mule Deer,not the tiny little deer I have hunted in some eastern states.

That being said your max range for large deer with the 7 MM Rem Mag with the right bullet is 750 yards for Deer. That same cartridge peters out at about 400 yards for the large Elk.

Looking at the 300 WM for Deer, again with the right bullet and conditions you are good for 800 yards. For large Bull Elk you can make 450 to 500 with all conditions being right.

I have shot many deer, quite a few elk and one moose with the above criteria in mind. For longer shots with my .338 Lapua and 300 grain bullets I have operated successfully at 850 according to my range finder. Last fall I drew down on at huge 6x6 Elk with a herd of cows along with him at 991 yards. I was so wanting to pull that trigger but the **** wind was blowing 15-20 mph according to my Kestrel. I wanted to make that shot so, so bad and had a firing solution I thought would work. About then the wind got really serious and the snow was starting to fall with very big flakes. I turned the Jeep around and got the hell out of there, didn't take the shot because the conditions were horrible and I would have probably hit one of the cows. I still think about that shot however....

Pennies were saved and I'm looking to get the new SAKO S20. Current rifle system is a <$1000 .270win and looking to upgrade into something better suited to elk and moose. The S20 comes in a few caliber but the two I'm interested in are 300win mag and 7mm rem mag. I have shot one 7mm mag before and it was decent but looking for peoples experience with both calibers as far as performance, reloading options, or any golden nuggets of wisdom you may have.

Thanks in advance!
Either caliber with a good quality bullet, accurately placed in the vitals will humanely bring down an elk or moose. Your looking to deliver approx 1200 - 1500 ft lbs of energy at impact. Texas heart, gut, and head-on shots in the brisket are a gamble and can lead to a less than great outcome, for both you and the animal. Know your tools and how to use them, well. If you don't have a "good" shot, don't take it!

My furthest shot on an elk was 1098 yards... with a 7 mag shooting a 180 grain Berger HVLD. Complete penetration of the chest through the near side shoulder with bullet found under the hide on the far side. Guided elk hunts for 38 years and shot a lot of elk personally. My favorite round is the 7 mag. Had several .300's in various flavors and they were equally effective. They're both great long range elk rounds if you can shoot well. This business of a 7 mag being a 4-500 yard elk round at best is baloney. Choose the right bullet for your intended range, shoot well, and you'll not be disappointed. I currently shoot a lowly .284 Winchester with 160 accubonds and the elk drop just as dead as ever.

My furthest shot on an elk was 1098 yards... with a 7 mag shooting a 180 grain Berger HVLD. Complete penetration of the chest through the near side shoulder with bullet found under the hide on the far side. Guided elk hunts for 38 years and shot a lot of elk personally. My favorite round is the 7 mag. Had several .300's in various flavors and they were equally effective. They're both great long range elk rounds if you can shoot well. This business of a 7 mag being a 4-500 yard elk round at best is baloney. Choose the right bullet for your intended range, shoot well, and you'll not be disappointed. I currently shoot a lowly .284 Winchester with 160 accubonds and the elk drop just as dead as ever.
Well said COBrad. Well said. 7RM is an awesome round that can reach way out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.