Yet another caliber comparison. 300Win Mag or 7mm rem mag

Ryker

Pennies were saved and I'm looking to get the new SAKO S20. Current rifle system is a <$1000 .270win and looking to upgrade into something better suited to elk and moose. The S20 comes in a few caliber but the two I'm interested in are 300win mag and 7mm rem mag. I have shot one 7mm mag before and it was decent but looking for peoples experience with both calibers as far as performance, reloading options, or any golden nuggets of wisdom you may have.

Thanks in advance!

Sako s20 really disapoint me.
Because they make good rifle and S20 even have longer mags (good for reloading) and then what they do ,they put 11" on 30 cal.
I dont know why.

Ahh excellent point, twist rate will limit the rifle to lighter bullets. Although shooting a lighter bullet with good BC from a 300 mag would certainly cover some ground and maintain lethality.

If it's going to be a dedicated elk & moose rifle, I would say 300 win mag. I personally like the 7mm rem mag with 180gr bullets.

My suggestion- use the search feature. This exact cartridge comparison has been discussed to death hundreds of times on this very site. You are about to receive opinions from both sides, as well as opinions on why both cartridges are not really what you need and your .270win will do just fine, and you might even get told to buy a creed and hunt from a moving airplane. :D

Very true, and I've been all up and down the search feature cruising similar threads. As a new member though I am also trying to hit my 10 posts so that I can start opening other features of the community such as the classifieds.

My suggestion- use the search feature. This exact cartridge comparison has been discussed to death hundreds of times on this very site. You are about to receive opinions from both sides, as well as opinions on why both cartridges are not really what you need and your .270win will do just fine, and you might even get told to buy a creed and hunt from a moving airplane. :D

Myself I would go with a 300 win but most likely a different brand rifle I have no problems with Sako I would want a faster twist barrel to take full advantage of the heavy bullets available either way would work But with moose being possible I believe the 30 cal. to be the better option

Last edited:
On the twist.
My friend have tikka in 300wm and they want to shoot 215 berger.
He is reload them and shoot them in the summer and on higger altitude.
Then winter is coming and we go to the hunt in the lower altitude and then start problem with bc and with precision.

For me better is overtwist than undertwist.

Well you are gonna see way more country from a moving airplane than a stationary one!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.