7mm rem mag or 7mm wby mag

bigjohn

i need to rebarrel my savage 7mm rem mag just wondering what your sugestions would be should i stick with the rem mag or go to the wby i am looking at a 26 inch heavy sporter with a brake and looking to shoot 162 gr a maxes to 180 grn bergers thanks

With the same chambers and throats they are both very similar in performance. The freebore in the wby rifles makes the 7mm wby 100+ fps faster on average than a factory 7mm remington. Remington and others make wby brass now so that cost is the same since you can use 257, 270 or 7mm wby brass. You can actually use 7 rem mag brass in the wby but the necks will be a little short. Actually the 264 and 338 winchesters, 7mm rem mag, 308 norma and 257-7mm wby's to name a few can all be used in a pinch and switched after running through the die you want it to end up as and a little neck trimming. I wouldn't recomend that for best accuracy though.

Basically the main difference is the longer neck on the wby. If you do a wby reamer with the freebore it will be faster than the remington. If they both have the same throat just your prefference really. You or the animal will never realize a difference between the two. I have two of each and my wby's have the freebore so they outperform the remingtons. I have no problem with accuracy in the freebore chambers if they are chambered properly.

Basically you will be happy with either. Performance wise there is just not enough difference to make a difference if both have a standard chamber. Components are much easier to get for the remington so that may make a difference for you.

I guess what I am trying to get at is what is your criteria. If it is performance just get a 7mm STW. Both of these two are so close without the freebore that it is really just your prefference. If you do the standard freebore 7mm wby chamber you bump up near the STW.

Last edited:
I went through this decision a few years ago for a custom build. The listed loads for the Remington are pretty anemic. If you load both to same pressure, they will be similar in performance. I didn't want to mess with the freebore of the Weatherby so I chose the Remington. I don't regret the decision at all.

Well, I"ll throw in my hat. Performance wise, the Weatherby will win hands down. I am told, but can not prove, that the Weatherby round can be a little fussy to get to shoot. I had a 300 Weatherby in sendero, and had no accuracy issues. As far as the 7 Rem. The brass is readily avail, and typically are easy to get to shoot. The Weatherby brass is made by Norma. It is fairly expensive. For the rem mag, you can buy Norma brass, but it will not be as much as the Weatherby brass. So, when it comes to performance, it as usual it comes with a price. My money would go to the 7 mm Remington mag. They shoot well,brass is more avail, and performance is awesome. I have three, and love them all.
AIM SMALL, MISS SMALLL lightbulb gun) 7 STW.

The availability of ammo for the 7mmRM is much better, you can pick it up almost anywhere if needed and brass is readily available and cheaper.
My best friend has a 300 and has trouble with the double radius shoulder collapsing when reloading sometimes and he doesn't care for this, doesn't seem to be a problem with cartridges that do not have a double radius shoulder. Just my 2 cents.
FE

biggest advantage 7wby holds over the 7rem is in factory ammo. Wby ammo is loaded to higher pressures then 7rem is. Case capacity is very simular and handloaded to the same pressure with the same bullet and powders and theres very little differnce between the two. Factory loaded 7rem has been backed off in pressures over the years as has been loading data for it.

If you are re-barreling a savage, and want to stick with 7mm, go here: gunshack

ER Shaw 7mm (.280) 26" Varmint Contour Stainless Steel

There is a group buy on stainless heavy (varmint contour) 7mm Shaw barrels going on until the end of the month for only $158 (muzzle brake is extra). There are 14 chamber options that you can choose from. I am stepping all of the way up to 7RUM, from my standard rem mag. But if availability of factory ammo is an issue for you, I think the standard rem mag is the way to go.

EDIT: Hmm it looks like link didn't show up properly, so I added a word to the first line that should be enough to get you there.

If bergers 250grain 338 bullet proves to be as good as I expect it to be, the old 338 win might be a more interesting option than it used to be and have better barrel life and knock down, Just saying.............If I were you and sticking with the 7mm I would run the remmington version. Factory ammo options are rampant in the rem and far easier and cheaper to find. I hate that argument as I never use factory ammo anymore, but to allot of folks it matters. If you reload the remington cartridge already then I would definitely stick with it. I personally do not think 100fps either way matters enough to loose sleep over. That may just be me. Good luck

I personally do not think 100fps either way matters enough to loose sleep over. That may just be me. Good luck

+1, I agree. That's why I'm going straight to the top of the tree on 7mm (RUM). Launching NBT120's at max load, my calculations (based on a 25% increase in powder charge) indicate more than 400fps gain over the standard rem mag (pushing the MV to over 4K). But that would only translate to the real world if the efficiencies were equal. Unfortunately, the 7RUM has a reputation for not being very efficient. I hope to be ready to begin actual testing in 3 to 4 weeks.

P.S. I don't know why everybody says the Berger VLD180's are so great. With the Hornady VLD180's having a BC of .684, THEY are the top of the tree, as far as long range 7mm bullets go.

thanks for all the replies i went with the 7mm rem as i already have the reloading stuff the 250 grn bergers for 338 are very interesting and i think i will be picking some up for mine

+1, I agree. That's why I'm going straight to the top of the tree on 7mm (RUM). Launching NBT120's at max load, my calculations (based on a 25% increase in powder charge) indicate more than 400fps gain over the standard rem mag (pushing the MV to over 4K). But that would only translate to the real world if the efficiencies were equal. Unfortunately, the 7RUM has a reputation for not being very efficient. I hope to be ready to begin actual testing in 3 to 4 weeks.

P.S. I don't know why everybody says the Berger VLD180's are so great. With the Hornady VLD180's having a BC of .684, THEY are the top of the tree, as far as long range 7mm bullets go.

EDIT: That statement was made, excepting the 200 grainers. The BC of those would obviously beat any 180. But aren't they considered "wildcat", since most 7mm barrels don't have fast enough twist to adequately stabilize them?

There is also a higher performance round in 7, than the RUM, but it is wildcat as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.