XHS 338 Allen Magnum from APS

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Well, Just wanted to post some pics of a rifle that I just finished up today. The rifle is finished in a Tungstun cerakote finish. This is the first time I have used this color finish and must stay I am more then impressed. Its actually quite a bit darker then what the camera shows but you get the idea.

This XHS is the 62nd XHS to leave my shop and in all honesty, it probably ranks easily in the top 3 of my favorite. I build all my rifles as if I were building them for myself but I would love to put this one in my personal safe!!!

P7290047.jpg

P7290048.jpg

P7290044.jpg

P7290042.jpg

P7290043.jpg

Just wanted to share some pics.

Hey Kirby let's hear your opinion on the G7 scope and what is the difference in the regular nightforce? How does the turret system work? I never thought id see on of those on a 338 Allen mag! That is one beautiful rifle by the way!

Will be on the range in the morning and will be able to offer a meaningful opinion after that. First impressions is that its basically a NF NXS 5.5-22x 50mm with a different reticle and the windage turret is a covered turret meaning that you have to unscrew the cap before you can make an adjustment. Other then that it seems to be identical to any other NF NXS.

The turret is simply the NF high speed turret with 20 moa per revolution, nothing unique there.

Again, I have to shoot the rifle before I can offer much on the reticle. I am a bit confused about this scope to be honest. I can not really tell what its designed to be used for to be honest. If its designed for hold over shooting, it has a VERY limited amount of hold over points so you will not be able to reach out that far. If its designed for dial up shooting, I am not sure what advantage it offers over a NXS with NP-R1 reticle.

I am not a huge fan of the covered windage turret. I think the scope is designed to be used using the reticle for hold off shooting for windage but again, that works fine for moderate range shooting but for true long range shooting, I think dialing for windage is a better choice. You can certainly do that with this scope but you have to remove the turret before you can do that. If your in a heated situation, you better get that turret off before the shooting starts just in case an adjustment is needed.

All in all, I am sure its full NF quality obviously, just not terribly sure what makes it better then a NF NXS and in my opinion, I think I would prefer a standard NP-R1 NF NXS.

BUT again, until I get it on the range and get some bullets in the air, this is just all opinion and really means nothing. Will report more tomorrow.

We do not coat the bolt head of the bolt body, well, let me rephrase that, we do not coat the bolt head and polish the bolt body so the only thing that remains coated on the bolt is the flutes, handle and shroud.

The Bats are to tight to coat the bolt bodies and still fit smoothly in the receiver without alot of working them in and then you WILL get to many rub marks and it starts looking bad after a short while.

It makes a nice contrast to polish the bolt body and leave the flutes coated.

I never have the bolt heads coated.

welcome. It can also be important not to coat the bolt way of the receiver as well so make sure you or your coater realizes that as well as it can also make the bolt to tight to function smoothly.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.