APS Carbon XHS

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
This was a bit of a unique one. This is one of my Carbon XHS rifles chambered in my 375 Allen Magnum. Customer sent me the receiver, barrel, brake and trigger, i supplied the stock and built the rifle for him. Barrel is a Proof 8 twist which i am not sure if these are available any longer in this large diameter contour. It has a 30" finish length which is on the short side for my recommendation For the 375 AM but works fine. Makes for a RELATIVELY compact rifle for this class of rifle.

AE33D6D7-02B3-49A4-B82D-8F23D461EE0B.jpeg

2BC89467-61C9-42A6-B85C-83BBB1A5C701.jpeg

we decided to give the Badlands Bulldozer 2 projo a try in this one. Customer wanted them pushed as hard as possible out of this rifle!!😳

I had not worked with this bullet before and when I chambered the barrel i did not have the projos in shop so just went with my standard length throat. In doing load development, this 390 gr tipped solid ran out of case capacity with RL33 at 3005 fps….. not bad but expected more. As such, i pulled the barrel, lengthened the throat to allow this projo to be seated to an OAL of 4.800", put everything back together and started up load development again.

at the top of the powder charge range 146.0 gr averaged 3130 fps, 147.0 gr averaged 3127 fps and 148.0 gr averaged 3136 fps. Obviously, we were burning all the powder we could in this 30" barrel at 146.0 gr. The velocity spread at this load was also in the teens so went with that load got accuracy testing.

in comparision, my standard 33-34" barreled XHS rifles would generally average around 3200 fps with this class bullet so figured this was about right. This load is roughly 98% load density as well and burning clean so in the upper 5% of working pressures. Case life should easily offer my required 8 firings minimum.

on the range i wanted to give this rifle a good test. Shooting conditions were pretty good, bit of mirage but not terrible so went right to 1840 yards. Wanted to see what these long copper missiles would do in the 8 twist. They did very well to be blunt.

took a few shots to get point of impact to match up with point of aim but then took three shots at a target rock that measured 3/4 moa wide by 1/2 moa tall. First shot landed center, bottom edge of target, second shot landed 1/4 moa above the top line of the target and third shot clipped the right edge of the target. Group measured 3/4 moa tall by 1/4 moa wide. Let barrel cool and sent another six rounds at the same target to test for any possible barrel stress. All were very quality impacts at this range. Very happy, impressed with this projo.

8500 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle in an expanding hunting bullet!! And shoots very well. Headed off to make another customer very happy