Wyoming Elk Unit 58

flatwater bill

I have finally, and with max points, drawn a bull tag in Wyom unit 58. Solely on heresay.....I do not know the unit. Any thoughts appreciated. I live nearby in Idaho.

-can I hunt it on my own? do I really need a Guide and Outfitter? Is there a good one you would recommend? Do any ranchers offer trespass fee only? Is there any public access?

-anybody hunted this unit before?

Hoping for a great hunt....am 68 years old. Will never be able to hunt this area again!

Hoping the winter kill leaves at least a few quality animals....thanks to all members helping me..........................FW Bill

I'm familiar with 58, but have not hunted it. Couple thoughts--there is some public land you could hunt without a guide as long as it is not wilderness area. There is also a lot of private land which will require permission at a minimum. The area is typically better later in the season when the elk have moved off the mountains. If you're interested, pm me and I'll recommend an outfitter to talk with. My .02 would be to hire an outfitter. At your age, getting an elk out can be a huge job and if this is your last 'go round', better to have a good chance at success and let the experienced help haul it out.

If you can afford it go with an outfitter and go as late in hunt as possible. If your a horse or mule guy then you could hunt down by the 58/61 border which is national forest but there is a lot of private ground in unit 58. If you need an outfitter recommendation pm me.

I'm familiar with 58, but have not hunted it. Couple thoughts--there is some public land you could hunt without a guide as long as it is not wilderness area. There is also a lot of private land which will require permission at a minimum. The area is typically better later in the season when the elk have moved off the mountains. If you're interested, pm me and I'll recommend an outfitter to talk with. My .02 would be to hire an outfitter. At your age, getting an elk out can be a huge job and if this is your last 'go round', better to have a good chance at success and let the experienced help haul it out.

Great advice! I too highly recommend hiring a guide for the same reasons......you will be glad you did!

This past year was tough for the unit a hot dry fall, tropical late season temps followed by a pounding of cold temps and extreme snow pack. Private land access would be the only way to go. pumpkin patch= hunter opportunity. That's the the new G & F slogan.

I drew a unit 58 cow tag, so I'll be up there about the same time. My buddy recently closed escrow on the Wapiti Lodge, which is just outside Cody. We are in the process of figuring out our hunting plans. I believe he will have an outfitter working from his lodge.

Those are the best buddies!! I have a buddy who just had a custom 63' sportfisher built and I am on the short invite list to join any and all fishing trips. Heck, and I even like cooking and doing my part of the cleaning in that type of situation.....lol.

No the owner of the Wapiti Lodge is not the outfitter, but he is going to have an outfitter operating from the lodge as a home base during the hunting season. The lodge's previous owner catered to folks going to Yellowstone, so they didn't do much business in the late fall. I will have to check with my buddy as to who the outfitter is that will be using the lodge.

I agree with the others on an outfitter, especially since this is a once-in-a-lifetime tag for you. If you do decide to do a self-guided hunt, there is lots of public land access on Carter Mountain...but everyone else knows about this too. I would hunt as far to the east that you could go on that public land (close to Pete Miller Park), and try to get high on the ridge-tops. A friend of mine had that tag 2 years ago and saw lots of 350+ bulls up there. Look up a topo map or the Wyoming Park County Map Server online and it will have a lot of good information on the terrain. Good luck!

Thanks, Masczek............have been looking at the maps quite a bit. Wyoming G and F says 254 total sq miles in the unit, 16 square miles of National Forest. Looks like more than that on the map to me. A lot of BLM and State scattered about. I will have to learn how best to access it. I will spend some time on Carter Mtn this summer. I'm sure there will be plenty of hunters, but better than units with unlimited tags I hope.....................thnx................FWB

Elk hunt update: Just returned from an uneventful 3 days on my once in a lifetime elk hunt. disappointing at best. Should you plan on ever hunting elk in Wyoming, learn from my mistakes. Unit 58 comprised mostly of one ranch that charges $1000 for access for anyone with a bull tag. I paid that, I mean, heck, only 35 bull tags, right? The ranch told me only approx 15 trespass permits would likely be sold. I should have done more homework. Ranch and surrounding area also an HMA that allows free access to 200 cow elk and doe antelope hunters. Seasons for these run past the end of elk season. Hunters on every ridge. 15 of 18 that I talked with saw no elk, no tracks in the new snow, heard no bugles. I was one of the lucky ones..............3 days on horseback.....saw one elk. As I said, do your homework, it being difficult in Wyom as elk, deer and lope units not numbered the same. Probably better units and better places to spend a grand, but will try again later in the season and make it happen. Hope all other elk hunters having a GREAT hunt.....FWB

If you come back, p.m. me as I have a tag for the same area which is out my back door a few miles. Yes it is a tough area to hunt but they are out there. Give it a little time for the weather to change and the elk will come down