Would you shoot this deer?

ew-biggie-007.jpg

Would you shoot this deer or consider leaving it for seed for more like him in the future
? No right or wrong answer. I realize it could be a trophy of a lifetime. Just wondering what others might consider?
I'd would shoot it...you never know if he will stay or die from accident or Predator's..man included
The old bird in hand!

This. I have allowed a fair amount of deer like that one go and instead knocked down the weird 23" 2x2 bucks (or whatever oddity) to help out the genetics on our place. Like clockwork, the guys that hunted the neighbor's place would eventually shoot the deer I pass up (50% of time trespassing) and everything else that was young and had potential. We're talking 10-15 muleys per year.

BTW, I took care of that family of trespassers. They no longer come up here. The damage is still apparent after 10 years though. Unfortunately, Fish and Game mismanagement + wolves have really taken their toll on my area since then.

Moral of the story: I regret not shooting a few of those nice deer when I know the antlers just ended up sitting behind the garage of those $#%&$% white trash idiots.
DO NOT HAVE REGRETS for being a True Sportsman. Continue to practice Sportsmanship and DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO DETER THE UNETHICAL SLOBS WHO DO NOT! Also, Keep in mind, your kids, grandkids, and others who happen to be watching you will be influenced by your EXAMPLE OF GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP!

ew-biggie-007.jpg

Would you shoot this deer or consider leaving it for seed for more like him in the future
? No right or wrong answer. I realize it could be a trophy of a lifetime. Just wondering what others might consider?
The bigger Buck hasn't brushed off his antlers yet while the Buck on the has. Which makes me think that he isn't a breeding and maybe a stag so I would shoot him.

DO NOT HAVE REGRETS for being a True Sportsman. Continue to practice Sportsmanship and DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO DETER THE UNETHICAL SLOBS WHO DO NOT! Also, Keep in mind, your kids, grandkids, and others who happen to be watching you will be influenced by your EXAMPLE OF GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP!
I dont think shooting the buck on the right is in any way unethical, or un sportsmanlike, if that was what you meant. Shooting when the shot is iffy, too far or shooting to fast to take careful aim , or with equipment or calibre not up too the task , or on off limits property or out of season is unsportsmanlike, unethical or illegal. To shoot or not to shoot in this case if all is legal amd you are confident you can make the shot with eqipment up to the task , is a personal choice, period! In our area we cant shoot large 2 points or any buck less than 3 points, period! If it was legal, there is still no legal or ethical reqirement to pass on the buck of a lifetime to harvest a lesser animal, no matter why. Of course there is no ethical or legal reason not to pass either. I dont judge any person for their reason to shoot or pass as long as they make legal, ethical, common sense choices. I have hunted for years for a chance at a huge buck like this and i have eqipment , baliber, and bullets up to the task along with the skill neefed to humanely harvest. I would wait for a better angle/shot and dust him

After living for 75 years and hunting since I was 12/13 years old, spending 24 years in the Military, including a lot of time in Viet Nam, and 17 years at the University of North Dakota, I find no enjoyment in killing. I would rather let this old man live out his life and enjoy himself. The only way I would kill such a fine specimen would be for survival food and then he looks like he would be pretty tough !
ew-biggie-007.jpg

For me it would be the trophy of a lifetime type deal. I don't think I would pass it up. Of course, I don't get/make a ton of time to hunt these days, so it's hard to pass most things up. I've never seen a deer like that hunting though, so again, trophy of a lifetime for me.

ew-biggie-007.jpg

No, because I probably would hit the elk standing behind it.

ew-biggie-007.jpg

IN A NEW YORK MINUTE I WOULD SHOOT HIM! As soon as he gave me a better quartering shot. I might even sacrifice the on-side ham and take him now. The notion of leaving him for the gene pool sounds noble, but it's subject to so many "if's" that it's almost a fantasy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.