Where would you go?

theplumber

Looking for a little input. I'm wanting to plan a hunt for this next hunting season, business has been good and I've saved a little. My passion is BIG whitetails, I'd like to know where would you go and when? I've never been on a pay hunt, and i'm not interested in the least in a canned hunt"high fence".I was wanting to hear of your experiences. thanks steve

generally speaking, the best deer are in the flood zones of the major rivers. Mississippi and Ohio are 2 rivers that overflow often. these floods are what keeps the soils more nutritious which grows bigger horns. the farm country along the big rivers in the midwest is where more B & C bucks come from than anywhere else. central Canada is also know for big deer. i've hunted Sasketewan quite a bit, even have a world record whitetail to show for it. but in terms of best chances to kill a BIG whitetail, i think the midwest( Illinois, Iowa, western Kentucky, Ohio, Nebraska, Kansas) holds your best chance for a BIGUN!

Little research shows the midwest and upper midwest has the most BC deer lately.

Kansas has non resident tags now, Iowa is really coming on, Nebraska, MO, Illinois, Wisconson has many many record deer etc.

Those hunts will cost you about 50% of what a Canadian hunt will also.

Key is the farm country areas with crops and genetics to provide potential and food. As Dave said, all along the major river plains area would be the geographic considerations I would target.

I go to MO every year and they instituted a 4 pt on one side 4 years ago for the top 17 counties and went statewide this year. This has made a real difference. You want to be north of the MO river for the big farm deer, not in the Ozarks areas.

BH

saskatchewan is where i am saving to go. Check out jim shockeys web site some huge deer taken up there.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.