What would you choose to hunt black tail deer

Wouldn't say blacktails aren't big bodied. Grew up hunting blacktails around springfield oregon. Lucky enough to shoot #46 all time in 2002 cascade blacktail 146 7/8, 4x4 hanging weight, no hide or feet, 190 lbs. Also shot forked horn, revert, in northern washington, hanging weight, no head, hide, or feet 156 lbs. Say what you want about blacktail being small, I say not always true. Seen tons of whiView attachment 208580tetail not much bigger than German Shepard. Most televised killings shot in rut so look bigger. First pic, washington forked horn 156lbs last two, #46 in oregon cascade blacktail, 4 1/2" eye guards, 5" bases. Not sure how pics will post but can figure out by description. I pack 30 W
Follow up, washington buck shot with 280 rem and 140gr Barnes TTSX, barnes factory ammo, oregon 4x4 shot with 223 Rem and 45gr Barnes Tsx

Got this sucker in my apple orchard with a .300 blackout. Shot it in the head with the Nosler 175gr going 1730fps. Dropped in place at about 72yards. :))) Fantastic eating. I'd say go with that 260!
7191E90D-A61C-4CF5-A43F-798FDA852D4F.png

I vote for the 270. I took one with a 270 WIN 2 years ago - a very accurate rifle - and was very happy with the performance of the caliber on Blacktail. Minimal meat damage.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.