Would you shoot this deer?

That is awefully big. I think I would see if I could get the guy that photo shopped that one to make my 230" look that big. I would be curious to know how many guys have seen a buck like that with a gun and a tag in hand with daylight to shoot. They are pretty easy to pass up from the sitting position at the keyboard. That is a beast if real, most likely a buck of a lifetime.

Exactly what I was thinking, too. And I did read through the prior post and you are the first to mention it. I've shot one stag before and it ate very well indeed!
Thank you sir ! I've shot 2 . Both in Utah. Neither real big. Both I thought was strange that had velvet 3rd week of Oct.. They like yours tasted fine.

ew-biggie-007.jpg

Would you shoot this deer or consider leaving it for seed for more like him in the future
? No right or wrong answer. I realize it could be a trophy of a lifetime. Just wondering what others might consider?
Kill him

I hunt where I live in Alberta Canada. I hunt primarily for meat on public lands. I will often take the smaller animal. Occasionally I take a real ugly animal and call it "herd management"

ew-biggie-007.jpg

Would you shoot this deer or consider leaving it for seed for more like him in the future
? No right or wrong answer. I realize it could be a trophy of a lifetime. Just wondering what others might consider?
Yes. As there are no other criterion, i.e., wind or yardage considerations in the question, I wouldn't hesitate if I was a trophy hunter. Its more than likely a buck like that has been passing those genes on for years. Hiding a head like that from other hunters for a season is a hard task. So, unless I was able to not shoot him, and also ensure no one else shot him, Id take him.

I hunt where I live in Alberta Canada. I hunt primarily for meat on public lands. I will often take the smaller animal. Occasionally I take a real ugly animal and call it "herd management"

That's awesome. When I have to shoot a last day fork I might call it a "Cull Buck". I like to save the really big ones for winter and wolves.

ew-biggie-007.jpg

If it was on my land (which I don't have) and no-one else could shoot it - maybe leave. Unless I needed venison.
In pretty much any other situation the only question would be "Can I get my shot off before my buddy does?"

For me it would be the trophy of a lifetime type deal. I don't think I would pass it up. Of course, I don't get/make a ton of time to hunt these days, so it's hard to pass most things up. I've never seen a deer like that hunting though, so again, trophy of a lifetime for me.
Thank you, sir for the Quote. I did 20 years in the Infantry and would gladly do it again. I took an oath. So did my youngest brother.

Hopefully you are just messing with the rest of us and have already taken the cape/antlers to the taxidermist!?!?

As a former guide, I would always tell my clients to harvest the animal that looks best to them. For they are the individual responsible for what goes in their freezer and or on the wall.

Good luck & thanks for sharing!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.