Wolves impact on your hunting future!

400classelk

I"m from Libby MT and the wolf population has tripled in the last 2 years. I hunt mountain lions in the winter and if you know anything about lion hunting its 90% looking for tracks and 10% in the chase so you get to cover a lot of country in the course of a season. There has not been a place yet that I have not found wolf tracks. Units 100,103 and 104. Over the past 20 years there is one drainage that typically wintered 15 - 30+ moose. Now it is down to just a couple and that's just one instance.The wolves are completely desecrating the deer, elk, and moose herds where i hunt in Lincoln county. I used to hunt a area in Idaho, and in the last couple years, the wolves have wiped out the elk. That means no sheds, no tracks, and no calves. Needless to say I no longer hunt for sheds or apply for tags in that unit in Idaho. I guess that is what I have to look forward to here in Montana. I've hunted for sixteen years here in Montana with an equal balance of man and elk, but that scale is tipping. Just A hunters perspective on wolfs. Please tell me about how the wolves are impacting your hunting Units.

Hunters money and dedication throughout the 20th century is the only reason we have both game and non-game species in the numbers we have today. We are the only group that has heavily and generously contributed to protecting and building wildlife populations in North America. Anti-hunting groups have spent incredible amounts of money fighting the only group of people, which are hunters, trying to protect the wildlife. There is a huge problem with this picture.

I was very involved in fighting against wolf reintroductions by the anti-hunting groups trying to educate and unify hunters against this rediculous idea. Unfortunately many hunters sided with the anti-hunting crowd allowing wolf reintroduction. Anti-hunting groups had heard for years that hunting is required to control wildlife populations that we have built up through the years because of the lack of large predators. So they come up with the brilliant idea to introduce one the most prolific predators in the world to control these populations so hunters can not argue that point anymore. Therefore hunting is not required because there is now natural predation on our game animals.

I correctly identified all the future problems associated with wolf reintroduction 20 years ago and few hunters would listen. Now it is unfolding exactly as I predicted. Big game populations in Yellowstone park and all areas in surrounding states around Yellowstone are being decimated by the wolves. We are losing Bighorn sheep, moose, elk and mule deer hunting opportunities at an alarming rate. The wolf populations are increasing at a tremendous rate feasting on populations of big game animals which have lost all natural and instintctive defenses against wolves over many decades. History is an amazing thing, we can learn a lot from it to be sure we don't make the same mistake twice. Our forefathers eradicated the wolves for a good reason. All hunters and interested individuals need to do the right thing and stop the slaughter now before it is to late.

It is already to late for my life time because it would take to many years to rebuild the damage already done. But please help start turning it around in the right direction for furture generations. Hunters need to search out where the wolf packs are located and put heavy hunting pressure in those areas. When you see a wolf please do the right thing. We don't want to hear about it and your friends don't. Just do the right thing and forget about it afterword. If you want to protect your hunting rights all the hunters in past generations have contributed to giving us then quickly and efficiently eradicate every wolf you see.

I have traveled the Yellowstone country for over 30 years and it was a blessing in past years to see the moose, Bighorns, elk and deer. I have not seen a moose or bighorn in Yellowstone now in several years when they were once easy to find. I noticed Yellowstone officials removed the signs identifying the most popular moose veiwing area. I haven't seen a moose there since not long after the wolf reintroductions. The first pack developed in the area and quickly and efficiently eradicated the moose which was a pleasure for tourists including myself to photograph for years. I can not believe the BS the park service is still trying to put out about the wolves and brainwash the kids with little stuffed wolves and and BS literature about them. They learned well from Mcdonalds advertising for sure.

Sorry so long winded but I could write several books on the subject and tell the truth and not the BS the Fish and Widlife Service and Yellowstone are pumping out. I have a masters degree in Ecology and Wildlife Biology and have followed this closely since the first talk of reintroductions.

I would just like to close with this. All of you hunters down in Colorado and Utah wanting to protect those big wildlife herds hunter's money has provided through many years. You are not safe and very soon you will begin to lose those tags and animals we have lost up here in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. Unless we as hunters do the right thing and begin stopping it now! I welcome all non-resident hunters to come up to Wyoming and help with this problem. Thanks for reading. I hate to be so straight forward, but if a lot is not done very soon I don't know if the problem can be reversed.

4oo class its the same way down here in the bitteroot there is no elk here anymore, This last bow season THE HOLE BOW SEASON I HEARD TWO BULLS BUGEL TWO!!!!!!! My wife in I sat and watched a heard bull tend cows for over 3 hours there was no way to get to them without spookin um that bull never sqwelled once he tip his head back but nothing they have learned it will give up were they are. Im afraid the the good ole days are gone.Im going to do my part this fall and buy a tag..

Amen Wyomingshooter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saying there is no need for hunters thanks to having a natural predator to do the job -will make the anti's giggle with joy -they love it..

Wolves killed a shepard/husky mix pet near boise yesterday ,the area people said he was a great dog and trying to do his job -and the wolves did what wolves do =kill.

These people who come off w/ the mentality --- oh you can't go breaking the law -you gotta do whatever the government says =right?
NOT ME !! this is suppose to be a free country and i know right from wrong and i don't need some beltway- city boy-liberal loving politition telling me squat..
Do the right thing is -RIGHT ........

The first thing the anti's do is sue the gov't when the paper work crosses the desk to take wolves off the endangered speices list.
They don't give a fat rats *** about deer-elk -moose they just want to have their way and live in their own little dream world -driving their volvo ..

280AI -------------------Mike

ol mike,

It is a proven fact that wolves will kill domesticated dogs on site just to kill them. I know a guy that runs sheep in Idaho and Utah and he has had several dogs, even ones tied up in camp, killed by wolves that have tracking collars on them. They caught the wolf that killed his dogs when he left to go to town and they just took it farther away and let it go. These dogs were in his camp next to his trailor and the wolf walked right into camp and tore them to shreds. I wish I knew where these things are in utah, I might start hunting those areas heavy if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I hear all of the above. But so what? So what? as in what do we do now? The wolves have been delisted in Idaho and I suppose other states. Rumors are that ID will have a 300 wolf quota this fall. I doubt that will ever happen.

The wolf has greatly impacted the Idaho elk herds to the extent that last year we saw no rag horns or spikes. I think one small bull got harvested the day before the season opened.

Saw several good bulls. Each with 4 to 6 cows. One lucky fella had a dozen cows. Saw plenty of fresh wolf sign.

Again, so what.....does a fella do?

I like to think of myself as a lawabiding citizen but there is a point when commen sense and ethics come into play. It was the same ( is the same) here in michigan on a smaller scale critter wise with coyotes and small game ie bunnies pheasants grouse turkeys ect about 10 years ago there were no sign of coyotes and I could go out on my 80 acres and hunt all of the above with great success now I can go out with mine and my brothers beagles and we may jump one or two bunnies and I havent seen a pheasent in 3 or 4 years its the same thing on his 800 acre farm 30 miles away nothing anywhere Two years ago we started to pick them off after a dnr officer told us we could only do so on his farm if they were doing or about to do damage well they were damaging our small game. After two years were up to 38 at my place and we have taken almost 100 on his farm two of which had a calf cornerd and were nipping at it. They also have been breeding with wild dogs and are becoming more aggresive. So on my hunting trip to Idaho next fall I guess it will be shoot shovel and shut up. :mad:

old timers wolf trap:

"Take a good piece of peeanno wire, find yer self a good treble hook wit a bout a inch and a half gap, hanger from a stout limb about 5 feet off da ground. Hide dat hook in a hunk of venison. Always hang um were you've been and never were your going."

Yeah, I hear all of the above. But so what? So what? as in what do we do now? The wolves have been delisted in Idaho and I suppose other states. Rumors are that ID will have a 300 wolf quota this fall. I doubt that will ever happen.

The wolf has greatly impacted the Idaho elk herds to the extent that last year we saw no rag horns or spikes. I think one small bull got harvested the day before the season opened.

Saw several good bulls. Each with 4 to 6 cows. One lucky fella had a dozen cows. Saw plenty of fresh wolf sign.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Again, so what.....does a fella do?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Roy -Did you sell all your rifles ????????

Cowboy, I like yer thankin, but man you got any idea how many madder'n hell grizzlies there'd be runnin around here with those big snaggin hooks hangin out uf their mouths. And twice as many game wardens tryin to figur out how all us salmon snaggers hooked all those fishin bears. Thanks for the advise.

400, I live and hunt in the heart of the Bitteroot. So far, wolves have had little, if any impact on the elk hunting here. But, I know it is coming as the wolves are here to stay. I see more and more sign of wolves every year. Right now, some hunters blame their lack of success on the wolves. That said, I will be packing a wolf tag if the huggers don't get the season tied up in court this year. A hunting season is the only hope that us hunters have as a way of possibly controlling the wolves. I could live with the current poulation we have here now, but not any more. There has to be a balance acheived. mtmuley

Ol Mike,

My 270 AM is due for a new paint job and name. She's been the "Big Girl". Been thinkin' to changing it to "da Woofer" or somesuch thing.

The paint job will definitely be related to the name theme.

And like mtmuley I WILL have a wolf tag in the pouch this fall, if the huggers don't screw that up also.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.