Wolf caliber and round?

One Hole

LRH Team Member
In the dense forests of northern idaho and montana I would recommend a semi-auto in .223 or .243 with a wide angle scope or even open sites. I have only caught glimpses of parts of wolves never one standing broadside in the open.

Ranger Rick

Happily in most of our state they are "predators" ---- no tag, no limit.
Alpha, where do you live? Unfortunately in Idaho, wolves are still protected too much. I wish we had a no tag, no limit for these killers. It is also required to have proof of gender attached and brought to an F&G station or office. Parts of Idaho also have seasons.

sourdough44

Years back I read an account where the guy used his 223 for wolf hunting. He got a shot, midlin range, ended up with blood & no wolf. Yeah, it may of died later.

I’d be at the 243 level minimum. While at it, use a suitable, ‘big game’ bullet.

BrentM

Years back I read an account where the guy used his 223 for wolf hunting. He got a shot, midlin range, ended up with blood & no wolf. Yeah, it may of died later.

I’d be at the 243 level minimum. While at it, use a suitable, ‘big game’ bullet.
That can happen with any caliber. We’ve had hunters hit them with a 338 and lost the wolf. Didn’t think it was possible but saw it twice and I lost one with a 308. On another note I’ve killed all but 3 with a match bullet. Wolves aren’t magic, they are actually easy to kill if hit correctly

300sendero

Alpha, where do you live? Unfortunately in Idaho, wolves are still protected too much. I wish we had a no tag, no limit for these killers. It is also required to have proof of gender attached and brought to an F&G station or office. Parts of Idaho also have seasons.
You can buy 10 tags a year and I think it might have been bumped to 20 for hunting. Only time off is a couple months in the summer. I hope you’re tagging out every year because I bet only a handful of people do. Other than the middle of summer being closed that’s pretty close to wide open season.

Ohlongarm

That can happen with any caliber. We’ve had hunters hit them with a 338 and lost the wolf. Didn’t think it was possible but saw it twice and I lost one with a 308. On another note I’ve killed all but 3 with a match bullet. Wolves aren’t magic, they are actually easy to kill if hit correctly
100% in agreement my friend Matt Vaughn in Alaska his whole life has killed a boatload,either calling or over bait,all shot drt with a CZ 22 hornet,no runaways,just dead wolves that make him money.

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce