Wolf caliber and round?

To answer the question any thing used to take predators works. A wolf is 2x the size of a yote but they are still thin skinned and small boned. Due to the longer distances I encounter with wolves I prefer a higher bc bullet in 6 and 6.5 to fight wind etc. I just happened to kill 10 with a 6.5 147 gr eld, 1 with a 135 a tip, 1 with a 150 308, 1 with a 180 308. 2 with a 460 grain arrow. To me the 6mm seems to have about everything a person needs tho. Good bullet selection, light recoil, decent speed for flat shooting, and fur friendly. If you hunt in thick country with closer shots a 20-22 cal would be good. I'd bet very happy using my 204 on a wolf
I recall reading an article around 10 years ago about Wolf hunters in Canada and Alaska shooting them with .17 Remington's using the 30gr. Kindler Gold Bullets at 500-600 yards.
After hunting with a .17 Remington for over 20 years now I can understand how this could possibly happen.
The Kindler Bullets as far as I know are no more since j4 Jackets pulled out of the custom bullet makers supplies.
Shooting Nagel 30gr. Bullets for sometime now I would really like to kill a Wolf with it.
I would like to call a Wolf in to a much closer range like 200-300 max.
I have watch the .17 Remington do a great job on killing stuff, my goal is to Kill a Wolf with it. If I can call one and it hangs up at a distance then out comes the 7mm STW...That will show em!

I recall reading an article around 10 years ago about Wolf hunters in Canada and Alaska shooting them with .17 Remington's using the 30gr. Kindler Gold Bullets at 500-600 yards.
After hunting with a .17 Remington for over 20 years now I can understand how this could possibly happen.
The Kindler Bullets as far as I know are no more since j4 Jackets pulled out of the custom bullet makers supplies.
Shooting Nagel 30gr. Bullets for sometime now I would really like to kill a Wolf with it.
I would like to call a Wolf in to a much closer range like 200-300 max.
I have watch the .17 Remington do a great job on killing stuff, my goal is to Kill a Wolf with it. If I can call one and it hangs up at a distance then out comes the 7mm STW...That will show em!
Man that's a long way for a little bullet. I have a 204
I shoot out to 800 and it doesn't take much wind to push it a zip code over. Ha ha

So are you asking what will kills wolf or what should you use? My answer would be whatever you would use for deer. Think minimum cartridges.
To counter some complaining about Idaho's tags on wolf's please consider that IDFG is completely reliant on license/tag sales for funding. It has its plus and minuses. Other states get general fund money and couldn't give a cr@p less about hunters. We have better than most IMO.

Whatever bullet you can put in a wolf is the right bullet. I've heard tell of snowmobilers riding them down in the powder and finishing them with 22lr before there was a season on them. Whatever it takes to take out as many as possible. I wish it was legal to poison them.

Man that's a long way for a little bullet. I have a 204
I shoot out to 800 and it doesn't take much wind to push it a zip code over. Ha ha
I thought that article was bunk until I pole axed a Fox on a hay stack at 535 yards with a hand load using a 25gr. Hornady hp.
Drop was approx 38" and killed him to my amazement DRT!
Chan Nagel makes some outstanding .172" bullets, I shoot his 25gr. and 30gr. NT000 Bullets.
The 30gr. so far Chronographed at 3700fps with accuracy.
Wind drift of my .17 Remington is about like a .223/5.56.
My .17 Remington is a calling rifle so I would expect the target to be very close, from in my lap to no more than 300 yards at the furthest and will do a credible job.
Shoot them where they live and the tracking job should be short if it moves at all!

Last edited:
I thought that article was bunk until I pole axed a Fox on a hay stack at 535 yards with a hand load using a 25gr. Hornady hp.
Drop was approx 38" and killed him to my amazement DRT!
Chan Nagel makes some outstanding .172" bullets, I shoot his 25gr. and 30gr. T000 Bullets.
The 30gr. so far Chronographed at 3700fps with accuracy.
Wind drift of my .17 Remington is about like a .223/5.56.
My .17 Remington is a calling rifle so I would expect the target to be very close to no more than 300 yards at the furthest and will do a credible job.
Shoot them where they live and the tracking job should be short if it moves at all!
Interesting. I know my 204 running a 39/40 grain bullet is no joke out to 700 shooting targets. Walked a few yotes at 500 with it. Still haven't shot a wolf with it but I usually take one of the 6.5 caliber rifles. Need all the help I can get in the mountain winds.

Interesting. I know my 204 running a 39/40 grain bullet is no joke out to 700 shooting targets. Walked a few yotes at 500 with it. Still haven't shot a wolf with it but I usually take one of the 6.5 caliber rifles. Need all the help I can get in the mountain winds.
I wouldn't hesitate shooting a wolf with my 204,I've got the place just need to get there ,according to my Alaskan friend ,who's killed in the hundreds over bait,they aren't that hard to drop,22 Hornet drops them,he's lived in Alaska 52 years.Just saying,I would be shooting mine over bait or at a maximum 200 yards if I can call one in,the landowner says it will be a cake walk.

I wouldn't hesitate shooting a wolf with my 204,I've got the place just need to get there ,according to my Alaskan friend ,who's killed in the hundreds over bait,they aren't that hard to drop,22 Hornet drops them,he's lived in Alaska 52 years.Just saying,I would be shooting mine over bait or at a maximum 200 yards if I can call one in,the landowner says it will be a cake walk.
At that range and conditions I'd never take the 6.5's. That 204 is a hammer on yotes. I've killed quite a few wolves from 400-1000 and often they are on the opposite finger across draws and it pushes those low bc bullets all over. Good luck out there. I'm headed up next week and see if I can hammer a wolf or 3 and elk

I use a Rem 700 BDL 7mm Mag with 175gr PP with a Scope-chief 3x9 BDC ... when i call these in they were with-in 30 yards .. i live in Alberta and have call them for years .. i like to hit them with some power/weight there is no such thing of over kill on a predator that kills humans around the world ... the rush you get when 10 Wolves are howling 100yds away is amazing .. there is no limit in Alberta for residents during hunting season in your area here

Attachments

• Wolf 1.jpg
    Wolf 1.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 341
  • Wolf 2.jpg
    Wolf 2.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 311
  • wolves 3.jpg
    wolves 3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 337
Almost all of the wolves I have shot were incidental to hunting big game so they got shot with whatever I was hunting with. If I was going hunting them as the sole target, Like Speckle, I would use a 7 mag of some sort loaded with a high B.C. 162 grain bullet so I could take them close or at long range. If hunting them on purpose you would call and hopefully have some bait out. Most shots should be fairly close but a wolf the other side of a river or valley is also totally possible. Wolves up here are big animals and they can be tough to kill at longer ranges. Some of the wolves I have shot were on frozen lakes so shots out to 800 yards are not unusual. Others were at 50 yards on a rib cage or gut pile.

I use a Rem 700 BDL 7mm Mag with 175gr PP with a Scope-chief 3x9 BDC ... when i call these in they were with-in 30 yards .. i live in Alberta and have call them for years .. i like to hit them with some power/weight there is no such thing of over kill on a predator that kills humans around the world ... the rush you get when 10 Wolves are howling 100yds away is amazing .. there is no limit in Alberta for residents during hunting season in your area here
Great pictures really enjoyed them,and nice shooting,wolves were #1 prime from the looks of them.

Some of you guys are lucky to be able to hunt over bait etc. here it is very restricted. I've killed a few with my bow calling them in and being surrounded. It's a crazy and cool experience that makes you realize they are crafty animals. Ive been harassed in the dark by the turds too. 1 night I was thought it was my last. I was a bit spooked after that experience but I've killed several since and keep after it. They are super easy to kill if you hit them right. Nothing magic. I'll almost always carry a 6 or 6.5 and looking at a long range pistol set up too.