Wolf caliber and round?

Whitetails45

Just curious on asking people that have real life experience. What combo of rifle and ammo do you use. No wolves around here just coyotes.

Ranger Rick

Alpha’s right - I don’t hunt them, but I always have a wolf tag during elk season. I have also seen them when we are out four wheeling, and then I’m not going to take a shot with my 9mm Glock :)

BrentM

To answer the question any thing used to take predators works. A wolf is 2x the size of a yote but they are still thin skinned and small boned. Due to the longer distances I encounter with wolves I prefer a higher bc bullet in 6 and 6.5 to fight wind etc. I just happened to kill 10 with a 6.5 147 gr eld, 1 with a 135 a tip, 1 with a 150 308, 1 with a 180 308. 2 with a 460 grain arrow. To me the 6mm seems to have about everything a person needs tho. Good bullet selection, light recoil, decent speed for flat shooting, and fur friendly. If you hunt in thick country with closer shots a 20-22 cal would be good. I’d bet very happy using my 204 on a wolf

Reemty J

.204 story on a wolf.......local rancher along the mountain front had his .204 in the pickup and saw a female wolf, put a bead on her with the 32 grain hornady bullet and dropped her on the [email protected] yards..WOW. I wouldn't recommend it, but it worked, hit her right through the ribs, heart area. Most females here are 55-80 #'s largest one I have heard of was 94# caught by local trapper, she was an Amazon! :oops: I would rather have the 39 grain SBK in...;)

Reemty J

BrentM you have your stuff together on wolves, that's an impressive total, congrats........I have only shot one.

Sengoku

.243. If you want to go bigger, i would step up to maybe a 25-06. If you want even bigger, go 30-06 because they have bullets from 125-220 grains.

375 JDJ

To answer the question any thing used to take predators works. A wolf is 2x the size of a yote but they are still thin skinned and small boned. Due to the longer distances I encounter with wolves I prefer a higher bc bullet in 6 and 6.5 to fight wind etc. I just happened to kill 10 with a 6.5 147 gr eld, 1 with a 135 a tip, 1 with a 150 308, 1 with a 180 308. 2 with a 460 grain arrow. To me the 6mm seems to have about everything a person needs tho. Good bullet selection, light recoil, decent speed for flat shooting, and fur friendly. If you hunt in thick country with closer shots a 20-22 cal would be good. I’d bet very happy using my 204 on a wolf
300 win mag works fine to

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce