Wolf caliber and round?

Happily in most of our state they are "predators" ---- no tag, no limit.
Alpha, where do you live? Unfortunately in Idaho, wolves are still protected too much. I wish we had a no tag, no limit for these killers. It is also required to have proof of gender attached and brought to an F&G station or office. Parts of Idaho also have seasons.

Years back I read an account where the guy used his 223 for wolf hunting. He got a shot, midlin range, ended up with blood & no wolf. Yeah, it may of died later.

I'd be at the 243 level minimum. While at it, use a suitable, 'big game' bullet.

Years back I read an account where the guy used his 223 for wolf hunting. He got a shot, midlin range, ended up with blood & no wolf. Yeah, it may of died later.

I'd be at the 243 level minimum. While at it, use a suitable, 'big game' bullet.
That can happen with any caliber. We've had hunters hit them with a 338 and lost the wolf. Didn't think it was possible but saw it twice and I lost one with a 308. On another note I've killed all but 3 with a match bullet. Wolves aren't magic, they are actually easy to kill if hit correctly

Alpha, where do you live? Unfortunately in Idaho, wolves are still protected too much. I wish we had a no tag, no limit for these killers. It is also required to have proof of gender attached and brought to an F&G station or office. Parts of Idaho also have seasons.

You can buy 10 tags a year and I think it might have been bumped to 20 for hunting. Only time off is a couple months in the summer. I hope you're tagging out every year because I bet only a handful of people do. Other than the middle of summer being closed that's pretty close to wide open season.

That can happen with any caliber. We've had hunters hit them with a 338 and lost the wolf. Didn't think it was possible but saw it twice and I lost one with a 308. On another note I've killed all but 3 with a match bullet. Wolves aren't magic, they are actually easy to kill if hit correctly
100% in agreement my friend Matt Vaughn in Alaska his whole life has killed a boatload,either calling or over bait,all shot drt with a CZ 22 hornet,no runaways,just dead wolves that make him money.

Bingo!

Use the gun you shoot the best, at the ranges you expect to encounter, and make your shots go where they need to be.

Nothing wrong with the old .243 with some 90gr's!

Want to go up a bit more, 270 Win.

Everyones crapping on about CM this & PRC that, when no one for years had any issue bringing preditors down with the tried & tested cartridges ;)

scandanvians seems to think the 6.5 is tried and true. Most people in the US now feel the 6.5's are plenty tested. I mean they've been in use for decades. There are a few who struggle with understanding ballistics tho and they hold to the notion a 6.5 is some weird fad. I do agree the 243 is a nice cartridge, it's even better when it's updated to the 6mm creed and flinging 108's.

Last edited:
My friends in Idaho who get tags have been using 243 and 6mm 26 inch barrels with 80gr spbt launched up around 3400 fps. His wife got a monster two years ago. I wish that I had the picture to post. It's butt is on the ground and she has a hold of it under the front legs and the head is as tall as her and she is 5'6" It's much bigger than her. I think that time they were snowmobiling up around Stanley Idaho

No experience of my own but the big thing seems to be that they be regarded as a big game animal like deer and not a varmint.
Only reason they are considered big game is to be on the list of things the game department can issue tags for and charge fee's. Additionally, the feds wanted the species protected and therefore one of the stipulations is to list it as big game and control how, when, where, etc the animals are hunted. It has NOTHING to do with caliber selection but you are still required to follow lawful methods of take and firearms restrictions.

We are talking about 80-120 lb thin skinned animals with small bones..... there is absolutely nothing magic about wolves.