Wolf caliber and round?

Have seriously considered the short mag 6mms, but it's been a few years since I've done a rifle with a long pipe. Seems like I'd need more tube to get the big ones up to speed, and these short flame throwers are so darn convenient.

Have seriously considered the short mag 6mms, but it's been a few years since I've done a rifle with a long pipe. Seems like I'd need more tube to get the big ones up to speed, and these short flame throwers are so darn convenient.
I run short barrels with cans these days. My main PRC is a 18" and I run a 6" can. Running a 135 at 3000 is not a bad gig at all. I would expect that 6mm/110 in a 18" to run 250 fps faster or right around 3250-3300. Add 25 fps per inch for a longer barrel. That's what we found playing with both.

I realize that there are always a lot of factors involved, but just curious of the general consensus on the use of monos on wolf at 200 plus yards, specifically the Barnes TSX. Would anyone not use this if that is the load already worked up for a rifle they wanted to use?

I realize that there are always a lot of factors involved, but just curious of the general consensus on the use of monos on wolf at 200 plus yards, specifically the Barnes TSX. Would anyone not use this if that is the load already worked up for a rifle they wanted to use?
Any❗️just as long it's not a fmj & ya put a hole 🕳️ in em

Just curious on asking people that have real life experience. What combo of rifle and ammo do you use. No wolves around here just coyotes.
My friend a guide and trapper in Alaska has killed enough wolves to fill a 45 ft trailer having lived in Alaska all his life, 22 hornet,soft point double lungs most few make it past 50 yards, usually called or over bait or opportunistic when on snowmobiles. Matt Vaughn the native Alaskan can shoot.

My friend a guide and trapper in Alaska has killed enough wolves to fill a 45 ft trailer having lived in Alaska all his life, 22 hornet,soft point double lungs most few make it past 50 yards, usually called or over bait or opportunistic when on snowmobiles. Matt Vaughn the native Alaskan can shoot.
This is a long range page so I think people have the mind set that at distance something substantial is needed. I am willing to bet more 223 AR's are used in Alaska to hunt then anything else as well. I would definitely be like your buddy not overgun or overthink it.

FYI,. The Record "Wolf Killer",.. Cartridge and Bullet, IS,..
the .270 WSM ( a Tikka, T-3, 24 inch Bbl. ) with, 140 grain AccuBonds at almost, 3,200 FPS !
A Young Man, from, Central Idaho,.. got, TWO Wolves with, ONE shot at, just over,.. 300 Yards !
The 2nd Wolf died, a little bit, slower death than, the 1st wolf.
FACT !

Last edited:
I've read a few mentions of the 243 Win. Is it really solid canis lupus medicine (aside from the obvious 'through the ribs' placement)?

What would realistic max effective range be? I do intend to reload for it so I can maximize the chambering. I know I could buy a CM or 308 upper for it, but want to keep my reloading components to only a couple calibers....

I have an AR10 in 243 Win and was hoping to be able to use it on 'yotes and maybe one day on wolfie. I live in the Republic of Calirado and know it's only a matter of time before populations will need to be culled officially or not...

Otherwise, I can use my 7mm Rem mag or 7mm-3000 Win Mag....

I've read a few mentions of the 243 Win. Is it really solid canis lupus medicine (aside from the obvious 'through the ribs' placement)?

What would realistic max effective range be? I do intend to reload for it so I can maximize the chambering. I know I could buy a CM or 308 upper for it, but want to keep my reloading components to only a couple calibers....

I have an AR10 in 243 Win and was hoping to be able to use it on 'yotes and maybe one day on wolfie. I live in the Republic of Calirado and know it's only a matter of time before populations will need to be culled officially or not...

Good luck❗️We hope Colorado isn't or won't be like Mn where legally you can't touch wolves 🐺
My Daily Carry is a DPMS GII in 243
Good for most anything in Winter
I just keep 100gr BTSP in this 243

243 is lots of gun for wolf no matter where you hit them. They are not heavy boned animals.

For my 6mms I run a 110 a tip and have no issue with a 800-1000 yard range. It's a good caliber and the 243 cartridge is potent

Good luck❗️We hope Colorado isn't or won't be like Mn where legally you can't touch wolves 🐺
My Daily Carry is a DPMS GII in 243
Good for most anything in Winter
I just keep 100gr BTSP in this 243
Thx! The ballot item that passed via the population centers (Denver metro + Boulder -> aka Calirado) is absolutely sickening. So, I am going to study predator hunting - coyotes in particular - as practice for when wolves become problematic. I'm confident 'yotes require very different hunting strategies, but I have to start somewhere.

I'm not a rancher or farmer and live in a suburb (but grew up in rural Northern LP MI), but I like elk hunting and wolves are going to phuck that all up six ways to Sunday.

These predators won't limit themselves to wild game and there are many reports of livestock depredation. It would be great if the majority who voted for them became personally, financially liable for all livestock depredation. In many ways, I wonder if suburban/urban dwellers should have the same vote that determines the presence of a predator in rural areas that will not normally frequent those neighborhoods nor have an impact on their day-to-day life. I think not....

There is a "Wolf Tour" about 20 mins west of Divide, CO and its presence just grinds my stump. I understand the nostalgia, but it's a dream and those who perpetuate it are mindless, ignorant fools.

So, if the 243 Win is good medicine, I'll get busy loading for it when the time comes to be able to legally thin the pack.

Use whatever you would use for deer.
Perfect!

243 is lots of gun for wolf no matter where you hit them. They are not heavy boned animals.
Understood -

For my 6mms I run a 110 a tip and have no issue with a 800-1000 yard range. It's a good caliber and the 243 cartridge is potent
Is the 110gr on the heavy side for the 243 Win? I've not reloaded for something that small before... You mentioned a '110 a tip' - I've never heard of an "a tip"? Would a Nosler BallisticTip be sufficient? I'd want something with sufficient sectional density to ensure complete pass through...

Thanks for all your posts! I've read this thread through a couple times now and realize I have much to learn and thank you for sharing what you have been!