Wind Meter, best overall buy??

IdahoWoodsbummer

Who makes the best wind meter? By best I mean, easiest to see, use, etc? Price is also a factor, what would be a best buy overall, performance Versus price?

wind meter plus altimeter?

For those of you with wind meters your input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have one of the cheap Bruntons. I think around $60 dollars at Midway. It works well. It is not the perfect answer to doping the wind but it sure takes some of the guessing out of it.

A bit on the pricey side, but the kestrel 4000 has wind plus everything else you need.

Look at what you really need and buy for that - some of the brands have way more capabilities than we require, why pay for that. I have used five brands of electronic wind meters, just to learn about them and compare. I would not worry about accuracy, they all gave the same readings during the same conditions - or so close it would not matter.
Meters don't tell you what is going on between you and the target, but they are great for increasing your awareness of the wind and what it is doing. I like to know what the range of the gusts is, what the average is and what the temp is. Kestral and Brunton make very nice instruments, don't be afraid of buying the basic, cheapest model because that is probably all you need.

Dude,
Long time. I will be in Boise shooting the Id. state Sniper match next month. I have a Kestrel Skymate. They go for about 100.00 and do everything you would need. I have had great results from mine and would give it the value / performance rating. I use mine in conjunction with my Del pocket pc and ex-bal program.

Im using a wind meter designed for golfers that radio shack sells. Got it on sell for $22.
Its more rugged than my kestrel 2000, only slightly bigger, and it gives the same wind velocities. It can be a little off on the direction, but I don't really care about that anyway. Its backlit for shooting in the dusky dark, and its got a red LED flashlight on the bottom for reading my map on the way to setup in the morning.
It does not do barometric pressure, or temp (the "weatherstation" on the wall at the house does all of that) for input for the various ballistic programs for palm top computers, but for just a windspeed reading it works great!

Shawn -
[ QUOTE ]
I will be in Boise shooting the Id. state Sniper match next month.

[/ QUOTE ]
How is that match, and who do I contact down here for more info? I have been wanting to go to it for a few years now.

Kind of off topic, not trying to hijack this thread. If you could shhot me an email about it - junkmail1369(at)velocitus(dot)net.

Thanks,

Alan

[ QUOTE ]
Im using a wind meter designed for golfers that radio shack sells. Got it on sell for $22.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you post more info on it? - I can't find it at Radio Shack or eBay. Does anyone know if the SPEEDTECH SKYMATE WIND METER (SM-18) is any good?

I have had basic and expensive. The main thing for me is that the meter will give an average reading over a reasonable period, say 10 seconds as well as a current reading. Other than I like a temperature reading but that is not essential.

David.

I have a Kestrel 3000 which is great but has functions that are not required for shooting . There are more basic versions available . Have a look at their website . 3000 does do average wind speed .

Howdy Shawn,

It has been a long time Brother. I too will be at the match. Our two CRT snipers will be there too. I have not even decided what caliber to shoot yet. I think they only shoot out to about 600m, so I am considering the 308. Though I used to teach at that range and the wind is a real bitch, so something bigger may be in order.

Tell me about your ballistic program. BTW my work email is the same as your 42's, just substitute my name. Your name came up in conversation with a friend who is the captain of Shoshone County SO, He says you are up in his neck o' the woods now. True?

I will look at the Kesterel's (sp?)

Take care,
T.

b0re,
I use the Skymate, have the neat wind direction tube accessory and the unit works fine. Identical readings to my other meters, it is a bit bigger than some but I like the built-in carry-case (opens up like a jack-knife). Got it in bright yellow so it is easy to locate in my kit.

Guys,
The Idaho Sniper Match is a hosted at www.tttmission first.com . The match is Law Enforcement/Military match only with a few others taken by special application.

T
Chris & Mark are shooting again this year I take it. I will take my 260 Rem. Just got done with a rifle for Shoshone Co. SO. They are sending 2 of their guys to my Police Precision Rifle class May 24,25 & 26. My better half and I moved up to Rathdrum, right outside of CDA about 2 years ago. Hope all is well I will drop you an email.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.