wind meter instruments

pressman

i was looking at buying a kestrel wind meter and i saw that the new 4500 also tells you wind direction. has anyone used one of these or does the 3500 do all that is needed. 100.00 less money.

The 3500 will do all you need. Remember, a wind meter can only tell you what the wind is doing at your exact location. You need to be able to read the wind between you and the target and at the target. Wind might be from the left at your position but it could be totally different between you and the target, such as you would experience when shooting in big canyon country in windy conditions.

ScreenHunter_01Sep1210.44Large.jpg

The 1000 tells you what you need to know.

Set relative humidity to 50 percent and you will only be about 25 percent off which is nothing to talk about at 1K. Run the numbers if you don't believe me.

Most people can tell if the water is frozen in the morning when they get ready to make their coffee and figure that it must be below 32 degrees. At about 45-50 degrees you do not need a coat nor sweater. At 70 degrees you are thinking about getting down to your Tee shirt. At 85 degrees you are wishing you had brought the Coppertone so you could take off your T-shirt and get a good tan.

Its your money, do as you wish.

I do not mean to insult anyone but I just don't believe that you need a machine to tell you what you already know or don't really need to know.

Nobody insulted here at all.;)

Not knowing what someone is shooting, and given the fact that he was going to buy one anyway, I think he got some relevant information.

BB....not everyone shoots what we do. Do the numbers with some of the ballistically challenged rounds at very long range and you will see that if, in the heat of the hunt, you were to get excited and couldn't remember if you were naked or had on full insulated clothing, knowing the critical weather elements could mean the difference between a hit and a miss. At long range it could be from 2-3.5 moa + difference in a 20 degree temp difference situation. That would be my concern for those minimal powder burners.

You are right though, and especially when shooting the barn burners, that some element differences don't matter unless it's very long range or the differences are large.

To each his own and opinions are what makes this place interesting. I spent the majority of my work days designing, buying, installing, and maintaining multimillion dollar equipment, and did it with the best tools and "gadgets" I could find, so I guess that I tend to be a gadget nut and probably always will be. It's just what floats my boat and keeps my feeble little mind happy, and for me that's what it takes.;) Does tend to drive my wife a little wacko sometimes.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.