Skymaster SM-28 Wind Meter

agdavis

I just got the Skymaster SM-28 from Speedtech Insturments and it has been driving me crazy with the temp and dewpoint readings! This is the second unit that I got from MidwayUSA and I was wondering if any one else has had trouble with it? It says on the box that the temp/dewpoint accuracy is +/- 2 degrees F, but mind consistantly reads 10 degrees higher temp and about 5 degrees lower dewpoint. I read the instructions and all the factory calibration look good. :cool:

Well I found a solution but it has nothing to do with the unit itself. I sent it back and got a Kestrel 2500NV. I like it a whole lot better, it is easier to use the buttons, has a back lit screen and senses temperature a whole lot better than the Skymaster.
The only things bad that I can say right now is that it does not have dew point, which I don't think matters, and that sometimes if the wind is not blowing you have to swing your arm back and forth to get the correct reading for temperature. I would recommend this unit to everybody that is thinking about buying one.

I don't think so but the sensor might be really sensitive. I have set it on tables, in the sun and in shadow, and walked away for ten minutes and it is still high. It also says in the manual that it helps to swing the unit with holding it into the wind being the preferred method. When either of those two things happens it's quick to adjust and within 1° C of what other thermometers are saying it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.