Winchester model 70 post 64 action ream to Short Magnum question

squeeeeze

I've Google searched for the last week and can't find a specific answer. I have a Winchester model 70 post 64 push feed long action in a .270 that I want to build a 6.5 Wsm off of. Can this bolt face be reamed out to a short Magnum? Any better options besides buying another action?

Last edited:
I've Google searched for the last week and can't find a specific answer. I have a Winchester model 70 post 64 push feed long action in a .270 that I want to build a 6.5 Wsm off of. Can this bolt face be reamed out to a short Magnum? Any better options besides buying another action?
The bolt face can't be "reamed out" but it can be opened to magnum dimension with a single point cutting tool. You will need a magnum extractor, which are very hard to come by, or the original extractor will need to be modified for the magnum. Your best option is to buy an action already set-up for the WSM cartridges as there will be serious feed issues that will need to be delt with if you use your Winchester LA. If money is no object and you don't mind paying for labor, use your Winchester. If cost is a factor, find an action already for the WSM and sell your Winchester to help off-set costs.

The bolt face can't be "reamed out" but it can be opened to magnum dimension with a single point cutting tool. You will need a magnum extractor, which are very hard to come by, or the original extractor will need to be modified for the magnum. Your best option is to buy an action already set-up for the WSM cartridges as there will be serious feed issues that will need to be delt with if you use your Winchester LA. If money is no object and you don't mind paying for labor, use your Winchester. If cost is a factor, find an action already for the WSM and sell your Winchester to help off-set costs.

It is a rifle that has sentimental value that I've had for 40 years, and was hoping to just build off it. I won't sell it so I couldn't offset the cost of buying a new action.

So say I did have the face opened up and either had an M-16 extractor installed or could find a magnum extractor, couldn't I just replace the magazine box with a WSM? Would that feed properly or would I still have major feeding issues?

Last edited:
You most likely will still have feeding issues. I'd build a 6.5-06 on your current action. No modification needed to bolt or magazine either.

You most likely will still have feeding issues. I'd build a 6.5-06 on your current action. No modification needed to bolt or magazine either.
Ya I was kind of thinking the same thing after shorts post. I don't want any issues. Now I'm just trying to decide between a 6.5-06, 6.5-06AI, or just started looking at the 6.5 Sherman. Not sure if there is anything better building off the .270.

Also just making sure I'd be better off with a 6.5-06 based round over the 6.5-.284

The 6.5-284 might need a little tweaking to the feed rails or a magazine change to feed well. 6.5-06 or the AI version would feed fine. If going AI I would build a 6.5-280ai and build it using nosler 280ai brass. No fire forming needed then.

+1 for the sherman. You'd get the performance of the wsm in a slick feeding round.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.