Post 64 Winchester 6.5PRC broken extractor

TAZMAN

As stated, shot 2 rounds with no issues and the next round would not chamber. Extractor broke in two pieces and fell out. Not sure why but now my question is has anyone done the M16 extractor conversion and if so, what are your thoughts? I put a new Winchester extractor in, and it will feed from the magazine but will not let the extractor push over to single feed as it has done for years. I have never broken an extractor in any rifle, so this is new territory to me. This is a custom 6.5PRC with a proof straight taper 20 inch barrel. I don't see or feel any burrs and I don't know what caused the issue.

I wouldn't do the conversion, unless you don't mind a high mounted scope. The ejection angle is often much higher, causing brass to bounce off of larger elevation turrets, sometimes back into the auction.

Was the bolt face opened up during the PRC barreling?

Bolt face wasn't opened up but it's strange that the extractor will not push over to single feed now.

I have it at my local gun store for repair. I have never put a Winchester extractor in, so I took it down there. Are there different extractors for post 64?

I have it at my local gun store for repair. I have never put a Winchester extractor in, so I took it down there. Are there different extractors for post 64?
Post '64 should we assume its a push feed? There are three types post '64, the push feed, the mid 1990's control roudn feed and the current control round push feed. Which one is it?

If it feeds from the magazine it has to be a claw extractor, the bevel or chamfer probably needs to be polished, or maybe altered slightly, I would suspect you have the wrong extractor, shouldn't be a big deal for a good smith, I've never heard of anyone installing a m16 extractor on a model 70, not sure the model 70 is ideally suited for this conversion,

I read about the M16 extractor online. I have never seen it done but looked feasible. I didn't realize there were 3 types of actions. I have 2 of these-one is a 6.5 Creedmoor that was a 260 and this one is a 6.5PRC. They both have always been able to single feed with no issues until the PRC broke.

That's all that I am aware of? This is a POST 64 which I have never had any issues with. Most likely I will have to send the rifle out to Tooter for repair.

The mauser style extractor and controlled round feed is maybe the best feature of a post 64 winchester action. I definately think it is not only worth saving, but would be near worthless to me without that feature. Just my opinion. Take the bolt out of the rifle and attempt straight pushing the cartridge into the bolt face by hand and see what you can learn about where the issue is. Could just be polishing, could be more than that.

It has a catch in it when you try to push the cartridge in the bolt head. The extractor moves a little but stops. Tried to polish the receiver grooves for the extractor but we are missing something. The spring and pin assembly that sit under the extractor is a pin that aligns with the hole in the extractor. I would think that needs to be round and not pointed for the extractor to slide over????

I am still unsure of which type of extractor your action has. The controlled feed (traditional) M70 is external and runs nearly the length of the bolt. The push feed is powered by a coil spring and held in with a pin. Can you take a picture?