Post 64 Winchester 6.5PRC broken extractor

For clarification:

1698150775555.jpeg

:)

I was told by my gunsmith years ago that the classic CRF needs to feed from the magazine. It can be pushed over a rim but wasn't meant to. The extra flex required to do it is fatiguing.
The push feed and the hybrid crpf are more forgiving because they work on a coil spring.
Yes. I have an old 30-30 bolt action that will not single feed, must be brought to battery fed from the magazine. Off subject but maybe useful to know, you should always do the same with your personal carry auto pistols. Feed from the magazine.

I have been told by lots of people that single round feed isn't necessary. As long as your rifle feeds well from the mag you should have no problem. Unfortunately I have found that isn't always the case. Many of the older military actions weren't designed to single feed and converting them to sporting usually means shaping the extractor, but with some of them the metal on the extractor is so thin this becomes a delicate operation and if you take off a bit too much you have to start over, usually with a new extractor. For this reason some gunsmiths shy away and tell you to go with magazine feed only. This is okay except that on occasion when you are feeding from the mag a round will pop up as it is contacted by the bolt face and become a push feed into the chamber without you realizing it. In this case the extractor won't flip over the rim of the cartridge but the round will be jammed in the chamber. The bolt won't close so safety isn't an issue but unless your chamber is highly polished you may need a cleaning rod to push the round back out. If this happens in the woods you may end up banging your rifle butt on anything solid to jar the round out. I have had it happen. Now all my rifles single feed if necessary.

I have been shooting the same 55 grains of H1000 and a 144 Berger in Hornady brass which is only 2860fps and I have probably 180 rounds with that load? I honestly have never had any extractor issues, so this is new territory for me!!lol

It's the bottom one in the picture.

Last edited:
I have never messed with the controlled round push feed action, however the extractor is very similar to the Savage extractor. Savage makes 2 different length (from the outside of the lug to the face) extractors. A long one for .223 head size and a shorter one for all others. The shorter one will also work for .223 but the long one will not allow the bolt to close on the larger head sizes. Don't ask me how I know.

I have never messed with the controlled round push feed action, however the extractor is very similar to the Savage extractor. Savage makes 2 different length (from the outside of the lug to the face) extractors. A long one for .223 head size and a shorter one for all others. The shorter one will also work for .223 but the long one will not allow the bolt to close on the larger head sizes. Don't ask me how I know.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new extractor is for a standard of 06 case head and not the magnum one, that style extractor is held in place by a spring loaded plunger or maybe even a ball bearing, you can depress it with a dental pick or small drill bit, its on of the easiest parts to replace on that rifle, it should be a easy fix regardless of what the problem is.