Winchester Model 70 Classic action

The best classics were serial number G with either 5 numbers or 6 numbers after it. G with 7 numbers as when they started to close up their shop in New Haven, and move to South Carolina which only lasted a short time before it moved over to Portugal.
Just looked at mine- G w/6 numbers which is an early '90's production I think- CRF- stainless short action with aftermarket ss fluted barrel in 308 WIN, and its a consistent sub MOA rifle with factory 150 grain Barnes factory ammo. The action is so smooth- and I did replace the factory trigger with a Timney. They are great rifles.

I bought a used Model 70 Stainless Sporter Classic in .300 WinMag I think in 1999 for 500.00
G-prefix w/ 5 numbers. Came in the black Tupperware stock. Seemed very nicely machined. I tossed everything but the action and had a heavy long range gun built. She's on her 2nd barrel, most accurate gun I own.

In 2021 I found (my wife saw it first) the exact same gun, G-prefix w/ 6 numbers, in the consignment rack at the LGS. For 800.00 She stood back and waited for me to find it. I picked it up and said, "Wow, like a trip back in time. .300 WinMag, too!"

She said, "Just take it up front and pay for it. I knew it was coming home with us the minute I saw it."

This one I just installed a brake and dropped it into a Bell and Carlson Stock and she shoots Barnes 165s and 180s about 1/2".

Super pleased.

I also Have an FN SPR which is a Model 70 in .308 built in SC I think. Its a great gun as well. They only produced them in .308 Win and .300WSM, but they are all built on the WSM action, just different bolt face.

I have 3, all from New Haven Plant and all three shooters.
If you find a good donor for cheap, they make great customs: one of mine is re-barreled for 300 wsm and shoots 190gr Accubond hand loads in 1 hole at 100yards. It got a fluted Sendero diameter 23" threaded barrel.
I personally prefer the CFR's as they tend to have a better/smoother action in my experience so that's what I'd be looking for it your set on building on the Win M70 action.
My first gun was a Win M70 in 270 so I have a fondness for the model 70 and the 270 caliber.

This post got me rummaging through the gun safes this morning looking for an old 22-250 M70 FW in need of a new barrel after 2500 rounds. it's a G+7 s/n from 1991. I'm thinking a light sendero barrel in 17 Rem would make a nice truck gun.

Has anyone here messed with shouldered pre-fit barrels for the model 70?

I have no experience with the ones made in Portugal now ( i think). I have a South Carolina one, it is made well, shoots well, but they changed the trigger to the "MOA" trigger. The New Haven have the older style trigger, personally I prefer the older style.
I have the old trigger. I prefer the Timney which they have one for both styles.

That crap is a pain in the A** to get removed it is like grinding on a tire
Interesting to know. Mine, all but one are 5 or 6 digits. I have one 7, in 375H&H. Shoots great. And one from NC, I ordered and waited a year to get, discontinued by the time I received it. All are shooters.
One thing to note: On the Classic models, they put some type of a clear rubberized blastic on the recoil lug. It deteriorated on my 300WM, so I bedded the action. Solid

Mid-90's to 2003 seem to be some of the best actions. They true up nicely. Only one of mine required work on the bolt face.

My 2001 300 WSM is smooth as butter and its new Brux barrel prints 0.3 moa with my questionable skill. I've stoned and tuned both of my Win triggers to a solid, crisp 2.25 lb pull because 2 lbs was just too light for me. Factory original spring in both. Other than the trigger on my 25 year old Steyr, those Winchester CRF bolt actions with G + 5 to 6 digit SN triggers may be the most user friendly OEM trigger produced in the last 100 years. They are so easy to stone/tune if you just pay deliberate attention with the stone. I did mine on a fine Arkansas knife stone.

The best classics were serial number G with either 5 numbers or 6 numbers after it. G with 7 numbers as when they started to close up their shop in New Haven, and move to South Carolina which only lasted a short time before it moved over to Portugal.
I have a left handed classic stainless with a G series six digit serial number. It started out as a .338 and was rechameberd to .338-375RR the day after I bought it. It is basically a .340 AI now. 250gr. Sierra GK at 3050fps with a less than max load. It is a very good shooter!

Is this even a thing? (I'd be ecstatic if it was) seems like that'd be challenging to accomplish with the extractor slot cut in the breech face, no?
McGowan offers them. They call them semi pre-fit because CRF models require the extractor slot cut. I wasn't necessarily looking for a pre-fit barrel for my project, but am intrigued by the possibilities on my push feed.

Recent Posts